advertisement

Potty Fi

I'm still listening to Radio Paradise in FLAC (you can hear it from the loo). Never get bored. May donate occasionally.

I'm still listening to Radio Paradise in FLAC (you can hear it from the loo). Never get bored. May donate occasionally.

I listen to RP at 320K (at least until U2, REM, Springsteen or Dylan come on). It sounds fine.
I really don't understand why Spotify at 320K sounds so bland.

A few months ago I had a text conversation with a friend who told me he was listening to an old recording of ours in Dunners. That’s a nickname for Dunedin, but it turned out the autocorrect had had its say instead. He really meant the dunny.

HTH :)
I don't hear Otipoti mentioned on here very often, do you live down this way?

Go for Qobuz Dave; I can't see you regretting it. Trials a-plenty and then it's only £12.49/month if you pay for a year in advance, which I repeatedly forget to do. The quality and range is fantastic.

I don't hear Otipoti mentioned on here very often, do you live down this way?
Otepoti ;)

I lived in Dunedin through the late 80s-90s. Last few years I’ve been living about 1.5 hrs north.

You live there, right? Dunedin’s a beautiful city and I always enjoy visiting it.

Otepoti ;)

I lived in Dunedin through the late 80s-90s. Last few years I’ve been living about 1.5 hrs north.

You live there, right? Dunedin’s a beautiful city and I always enjoy visiting it.

I think I know where you mean, flick me a PM if you're coming down this way and fancy a session.

I find that if I use the direct Spotify connection to my streammagic 6 that it sounds less engaging than if I use my CCA into the streammagic dac.
You can control the volume from the app when going direct so maybe it’s using airplay rather than the direct WiFi nature of the CCA.

I find that if I use the direct Spotify connection to my streammagic 6 that it sounds less engaging than if I use my CCA into the streammagic dac.
You can control the volume from the app when going direct so maybe it’s using airplay rather than the direct WiFi nature of the CCA.

This is pure, wild speculation here, but since the Stream Magic 6 is fairly old (relative to Spotify's existence), it almost certainly has built-in Spotify support via the libspotify programming library. libspotify is long-abandoned by Spotify, having been replaced by a web-based ("REST-ful") API.

I'm sure they still work hard to maintain the ability for libspotify-based devices to connect and stream from their servers, and it's hard to imagine a reason that libspotify-based streaming would sound worse than newer iterations, however...maybe? Or, perhaps, some settings, e.g. disabling volume normalisation don't work via libspotify?

This is pure, wild speculation here, but since the Stream Magic 6 is fairly old (relative to Spotify's existence), it almost certainly has built-in Spotify support via the libspotify programming library. libspotify is long-abandoned by Spotify, having been replaced by a web-based ("REST-ful") API.

I'm sure they still work hard to maintain the ability for libspotify-based devices to connect and stream from their servers, and it's hard to imagine a reason that libspotify-based streaming would sound worse than newer iterations, however...maybe? Or, perhaps, some settings, e.g. disabling volume normalisation don't work via libspotify?
Possibly so.
You can’t change the settings on the app when it is cast to the streammagic but you can adjust the volume.

The volume normalization option makes spotify sound lifeless and dull. I don't know what the process is behind it but it definitely makes a huge difference in how it sounds.

Just been listening to Pottyfi. Superficially it sounds OK, but after a few tracks it is just so damned boring.
On some tracks it does sound like they have boosted the bass. I think the issue is that the timing is completely emasculated.

I can understand how many prefer LP reproduction to digital, if this is what they think digital sounds like (all the time)!

Just been listening to Pottyfi. Superficially it sounds OK, but after a few tracks it is just so damned boring.
On some tracks it does sound like they have boosted the bass. I think the issue is that the timing is completely emasculated.

I can understand how many prefer LP reproduction to digital, if this is what they think digital sounds like (all the time)!
Done well enough, records are an aural relief after much digital IME, even if I’ve enjoyed the latter.

I have a friend whose music collection is made solely of records. He can afford it and neither minds the space they take up nor the effort in locating particular LPs.

Last edited:
Here is my medium/long term impression: Spotify sound quality is bland and boring.

Many people apply these terms to amplifier, speakers, etc.

Personally, I have no problem with Spotify.
I’ve recorded music from Spotify, using a Sonos Connect box.
It sounds fine to me...

I’m with the Op here. I’m new to streaming and signed up to Spotify after the free month. Just cancelled. I mostly listen to Radio Paradise and Naim/linn and Spotify just sounds poor in comparison. It’s not huge but it’s irritating. I’ll try Tidal next.

Quite a part of it is I don’t know what’s next with internet radio. I’m more interested in stuff I haven’t heard...

In its defence I’ve not looked up anything on Spotify that wasn’t available. I listened to ghetto raga by the Third Ear band today; something I last heard when seriously stoned thirty years ago. That’s not something to be dismissed lightly.

actually forty years ago. ****...

advertisement

Back