advertisement

Pot cleaning on a NAIM 32.5

Is it possible to clean the volume pot on a NAIM 32.5? I have a little scratchiness in mine but it does not look like I can get any Detoxit in there.

Disconnect it and leave it an hour to cool down. Take the back off. Spray inside the pot with contact spray, opearting the pot from one end to the other. You'll find a hole somewhere to get the spray in, that's why the cans have a tube. Leave 2 hours to dry in a ventilated space. Replace the lid, plug in, test.

Sprays and liquids are not recommended by Naim. Just move the pot back and forth many times until scratchiness goes away. May take a little elbow grease.

Are Naim pots different to others? I'm not being funny BTW, it's a genuine question. I've never found knob twiddling to work without spray, so I'd always reach for the Servisol. I bet there are a few cans of it in salisbury.;)

Pots are cheap to buy and once they get noisy they are knackered. for me sprays are never satisfactory and when the pot is worn you lose sound quality and channel balance. my son was a DJ for a while and the majic spray/lube on the sliders and cross faders was only a temporary measure, you had to change them out to get the sound quality back.
A Sfernice P11s is only about £8 from RS components.
I recently replaced the 50K log pot on my Rogers A100 because it was noisy and one channel used to disappear altogether at low volume.
They didn’t have the Sfernice in on the day so I bought an Alps blue pot 50K log cost about £15 and it instantly sounded much better than the original.

I am not certain but I believe that Naim use Alps blue pots.

in RS go to Passives and then potentiometers
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/...unt=304&Ne=4294957561&N=4294963016+4294956693

Interesting...I got the mother board on the 32.5 tilted up enough to unscrew the screws holding the pot together, which of course face the front. I then cleaned off the brushes and the surface they contact (don't know what that is called) with Detoxit cleaner, then treated it with Detoxit Gold. It now seems to be working fine and sounds great, no scratching or balance problems, at least after a couple of days.

All potentiometers and sliders that are scratchy through dust will respond well to treatment with Caig Deoxit Fader Lube.
It cant help with worn out ones though....

Older Naim gear (42/62 CB amps) used Alps black pots - not sure when they changed over to the blue ones, but I suspect the 32/32.5 had the black one too.

Older Naim gear (42/62 CB amps) used Alps black pots - not sure when they changed over to the blue ones, but I suspect the 32/32.5 had the black one too.

My 42 has got a cheap looking Megit type dual carbon pot - certainly not a Alps black or blue. Any one know if the Alps black can be a straight swap for this older type pot?

Naim never used a "black colour" pot as far as I recall [EDIT - OH YES THEY DID!!! - embarrrassed!] and the reason for noisy old cheaper pots was the tants going iffy (again, as I remember) and these were usually changed at the same time.

The Alps pots were used mainly to improve volume tracking between the channels and I never knew of one going noisy.

That would figure David, failing tants allowing a bit of DC through and on to the track of the control will certainly cause a scratching sound to be heard. I have seen a couple of 42/42.5's fitted with the black Alps pot. Maybe this was done by another company?

I was wrong guv - see edited post above....... The 72 board pulling thread clearly pictures what is really there.........

advertisement

Back