advertisement

Posting MF film

The Rollei's leaf shutter is so gentle though (and no mirror slap) that with practice it's easily hand-holdable to 1/15 or even 1/8. Just hold it close to your body with the strap tensed a bit.

Since shooting more MF I do a lot more short-focus stuff because of the DOF question. Be interested to see if you go the same way. I think it would work.

Cesare: it's a try before you buy kinda deal. No obligation to buy though. I wasn't using it much, so I'm quite happy to see it being put to good use.

-- Ian

Given that I'm often in less than ideal light - I almost never shoot in direct sunlight - I may need to switch to 400asa film. I like the short DOF, but 6 foot away from something, the margin of error on an object is just too small, and I really need to be at least f8 and more like f11. Even then I've only got about 2 feet in focus.

Anyone tried 400 asa Provia?

Guy
This was shot with Provia 400X
2182612881_6792fe0b42.jpg

along with most of the colour shots from that winter trip to Norway.
Since your shots tend not to be running away you can always use longer exposures, as Ian says you can hand-hold at pretty slow speeds - or use a tripod, which might help with getting the focus you want.

Very nice colours and composition, Pete.

Was that scanned with the V700?

Joe

Guy -- I had some MF scans from Peak and thought the quality less than impressive but couldn't work out if it was becuase of my dodgy photography, the scanning or what. It kind of put me off messing about with MF since I didn't really want to invest £300 or so in a scanner.

So if you do at some point get a scan of something from both Peak and on one of the Epson V scanners I would be very interested in the restuls and how they compare.

I'm using an epson photo 4490 scanner which is doing a very nice job for half the money of the V700. The downside is that the negative holders have half the capacity of the V700, so I can scan 2 * 6 frame 35mm strips or 1 6*6 strip at a time. I've just bought a new MF film holder from www.betterscanning.com and this gives better results, and allows me to scan 2 6*7 frames in one go (and 3 6*6 frames).

I can post an example somewhere of a 2400 dpi scan if anyone is interested.

Cesare

Pete's offered to do a couple of test scans for me, which I'll take up as he's got great results from his own colour slides. I'll post the comparisons up when I get them - I'll get the same two pics rescanned.

I'm pretty sure now that the Peak scans are just fairly poor quality, and not really representative of what's going on.

If/when I get a scanner, I'll probably get a v500 which seems to an updated/rebadged version of Cesare's 4490, slower and more fiddly than a v700, but a lot cheaper.

This film malarkey is a right old faff isn't it.

Or just project it onto your laptop screen and pretend you're looking at it on Flickr.

-- Ian

I might send that into Viz's Top Tips page.

Ian,

We could have a scan-off. Winner stays on :)
Count me in, but as my scanner will do only 35mm I'll have to cut a several 24 x 36 mm frames out of the medium format transparency then stitch them together in Photoshop. :-o

The V700 does very nice scans from what I can tell. My only criticism is its ability to get something out of the densest areas.

Joe

Ian,

Without seeing Pete's original slide it's impossible to say, but all scanners I've tried -- two dedicated film scanners and several flatbeds -- struggle with the densest areas. It may not be an issue with Tri-X, but Velvia, especially underexposed Velvia, is a bastard to scan. This is where drum scanners come in.

From what I can tell, the V700 is very good by any measure and exceptional for the money. If my Minolta scanner dies, I'll replace it with an Epson since I'd like to have the possibility of scanning big film... which, of course, opens the door to a camera that takes big film.

Joe

If my Minolta scanner dies, I'll replace it with an Epson since I'd like to have the possibility of scanning big film... which, of course, opens the door to a camera that takes big film.

My thinking exactly, but unfortunately the thing keeps working...

Pete has heroically scanned lots of my first two rolls - so much better than the Peak scans.

Here are 4 from roll #2, unsharpened, minimal adjustments in Photoshop, just pushing up Black point to first clipping, and Auto white balance:

2638185589_0396263253_o.jpg

2639014538_d99b1c6fdb_o.jpg

2639014592_c9cfafe3fd_o.jpg

2638185833_0753fbebf9_o.jpg

These are HUGE 300mb scans, which give a whole new meaning to grindy computer. Darker, denser and more contrasty than the Peak scans, this is much more the look I've been after. I just get it straight out off the slide now.

Many thanks to Pete!

advertisement

Back