advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Bush's war was voted through the Senate and the House https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autho...Force_Against_Iraq_Resolution_of_2002#Passage

We can argue about the extent to which the Senate and House were misled, but IMO this is a totally different situation to the president alone encouraging his supporters to storm the capitol building to prevent the transfer of power.

And, no, I wasn't in favour of the either the Iraq war or the Afghan war (though I shed no tears for the demise of Saddam Hussein, and it's pretty clear that Afghanistan was better off without the Taliban in control) - I thought both wars were foolish and dangerous and a product of right wing American hubris.
Most definitely.
It's one thing to mislead the elected representatives in order to invade a sovereign nation, it's a totally different thing to withdraw from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, the Iran Nuclear Deal, the UN Human Rights Council and the Paris Agreement, to incite an attack on Congress, to attempt at overturning the result of a democratic election and to support domestic extremists in a free country.

HCR has a new book out.

“The whole point of a civil war was to make sure that battle flag never had influence in the United States Capitol,” she says, via Zoom from near Augusta, Maine. “With a loss of almost $6bn and 600,000 lives, they kept that flag out of the Capitol, and then, I’m sorry, but those ****ers brought it in. I saw that, and the gut-punch was larger than any other moment in history, for me as a historian who has lived that civil war as deeply as I have.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/oct/07/american-democracy-heather-cox-richardson-trump-biden

Reactions: PsB
One of the biggest issues with TrumPlethinskin is that, no-one in the media has the bottle to simply take him to pieces verbally....

You lost to Sleepy Joe Biden , do have any idea how much a of a loser that makes you? Even half the democrats think he's an idiot and you still lost to him, doesn't that tell you how much people actually hate you?

Your half arsed coup attempt was so pathetic, you actually deserve to have been summarily put against the wall along with the rest of your progeny and shot .

You spend your life fanboiing the likes of Putin and look at him, losing a war to, arguably, one of the most inept and corrupt governments in history. You arse lick a bloke who has turned the, reputedly, second most powerful military nation on earth into a joke.

The key is, Trumplethinskin shouts the odds right up until the point someone just doesn't take it and then he's like a scalded puppy and that's the Trumplethinskin his branidead cultists need to see exposed live on TV. The sulky , lost for words, totally acquiescent idiot they truly are.

HCR has a new book out.

“The whole point of a civil war was to make sure that battle flag never had influence in the United States Capitol,” she says, via Zoom from near Augusta, Maine. “With a loss of almost $6bn and 600,000 lives, they kept that flag out of the Capitol, and then, I’m sorry, but those ****ers brought it in. I saw that, and the gut-punch was larger than any other moment in history, for me as a historian who has lived that civil war as deeply as I have.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/oct/07/american-democracy-heather-cox-richardson-trump-biden

More good news on the Georgia front: Sidney Powell plea bargain. 6 years' probation, has to testify against co-conspirators, etc. I wonder what she has had to sign up to in order to secure that bargain for herself.

Former Trump lawyer Sidney Powell to get six years’ probation after guilty plea in Georgia election subversion case – live​

Powell will also pay a $6,000 fine and write an apology to citizens of Georgia after agreement reached just days before jury selection was due to begin

Astonishingly Powell hasn't had her licence to practice revoked yet. Not that I imagine she has a very wide pool of clients to choose from.

McHenry will be perm speaker, I reckon, and Gaetz will have achieved little other than to make the Republicans look like an even more absurd circus than previously.

I like the “remain speaker designee” bit, like that’s going to swing more votes as the trials get hotter and their attempts at intimidation are exposed.

Reactions: PsB
This paralysis in The House is a de facto government shut-down, only without cutting off the gov't payroll or closing any parks or monuments. I wonder if this was Gaetz' actual goal all along?

This paralysis in The House is a de facto government shut-down, only without cutting off the gov't payroll or closing any parks or monuments. I wonder if this was Gaetz' actual goal all along?
Also no disruption to government operations mostly. It's just what is says on the tin, a shutdown of the House of Representatives. Not trivial, but we're basically OK without them for a while, especially as they weren't doing their job anyway.

advertisement

Back