advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

I *think* you can have a mistrial if the jury refuses to reach a unanimous verdict so I guess that means that a single no vote can prevent a conviction. But the judge will send them back to try again and I think this is unlikely.

Also somewhat moot as if a retrial is after November and he wins re-election. From his point of view delaying till after November is his only play as eventually he will be lose most if not all of these trials and getting elected is his only real hope of avoiding jail. That or dying in the no doubt years of appeals.

Once a jury is sworn in then jeopardy attaches and he cannot be retried.

Although jeopardy does not attach if there is a mistrial to stop the obvious get out clause of a defendant causing their own mistrial after the jury is sworn in.
Yes, he can be retried, according to Glenn Kirschner -

Max Azzarello set himself on fire across the street from Donald Trump’s criminal trial in Manhattan, the 37-year-old man has died.
Azzarello passed away about an hour ago from his burns and other wounds, law enforcement sources confirmed

. While Azzarello’s motivations remain unclear, his actions have left a lasting impact on those who witnessed this distressing event
Azzarello’s manifesto, which he left behind, revealed his critical views of both political parties and his belief that society was in a “totalitarian doomsday cult.” His actions serve as a stark reminder of the complexities of mental health and the profound impact it can have on individuals and those around them

blob

Further proof, if it were needed, that The Orange Moron is a complete idiot. By all accounts the jury in his trial is composed of intelligent folk ( worrying enough for the Trump defence team), so our Donny goes out of his way to royally p*ss them off -

A long but interesting article in the WaPo:

Not sure about his idealised view of the Founding Fathers recognising the evil of slavery and hoping that it would die a natural death, since at least Washington and Jefferson were slave owners and stayed that way (slaves constituted a large part of their wealth), and, IIRC, the original Constitution valued an African-American as three-fifths of a white man for the purposes of representation (I guess we should be grateful that they were counted at all). Still, an interesting thesis and a warning about the distinctly theological turn of events and the danger they represent.

advertisement

Back