advertisement

Portable PCM Recorders

Mignun

pfm Member
I need a recorder for some interview work I'll be doing this year. I thought about a basic Olympus but then I thought, why not up the spec a bit and use it as a digital audio recorder as well. There seem to be a number of units out there, all offering up to 24bit 96kHz recording ability, with prices anywhere from about £70 for a Tascam up to £3-400 for the more sophisticated units. The Olympus LS-5/LS-10 has rather caught my eye, as has the Edirol R-09HR and Sony PCM-M10. Then there's the W24 from Yamaha..

What I don't know is how good they sound as recorders. There are some reviews that cover mic recording quality but not much covering the quality of trhe line level input. As I'd like to record some vinyl and some reel tape through the line input this is important. It seems like a rather neat solution, but if the A-D convertors etc.. are heavily compromised I'll think again.

So, if anybody here is using one of these devices, I'd appreciate your views.

I use an Olympus LS11 and rate it very highly. I'd be confident using it for all the tasks you list. I'd only change it if I needed XLR inputs rather than minijack.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Yes, the LS-11 is under consideration. I've read that the LS-5 is basically the same but without a lot of the pro editing software and without the remote control. It's quite a bit cheaper but once you add the optional remote it's almost the same price! A remote seems like a smart idea, so I'm wondering how much I'll need it.

The Marantz PMD661 is quite slick and the form factor is good as well though it's not pocket sized.

I have had a PMD671 for a number of years that I use for field recording--it replaced the venerable Tascam DA-P1 DAT and it has been a great machine.

Had to have a PMD661 as soon as it came out, I have only used it a couple of times as the 671 is usually in service but it has been a delight to use all the same. The main advantage over smaller units is likeky that it has balanced inputs and proper phantom power for microphones.

Fit and finish and build quality of the Marantz units are great, I believe they are all still made in Japan.

Tascam or if you need broadcast gismos HHB

Then there is the Fostex FR2-LE. A few short feature films have been recorded on this. Balanced mic input and unbalanced line input from memory.
I use a Zoom H4n but normally only with its own mics, for line input I have other options.
I think it is easier to achieve decent A to D so unless you are buying at the bottom of the market, you should not have to worry too much.

Tim, I looked at the Fostex but it's probably overkill for my needs. Also, XLR inputs only, which I can't use.

I've seen the Tascam DR-05 selling online for about £70. It seems to have everything I need but at that price, surely it'll sound rubbish??

I'm leaning ever harder towards the LS-5...

The Tascam units are very prone to handling noise if you're using the internal mics (I'm not sure what the situation will be for your interviews). I have a DR-07 and I'm very happy otherwise.

There's a lot of information about different units at tapersssection - you'll certainly find plenty about the Edirol and Sony decks (both of which are very good choices IMHO).

I've been using the Edirol R-09 getting on for 5 years now. I found it so good I bought a second. I can only assume the successor, the HR is even better. The R-09 works brilliantly on both mic (made lots of very good classical recordings) and line input and I've had superb results digitising vinyl and recording radio off air. If budget is tight, they are a bargain s/h imo. Quite sturdy too.

Cheers,

Nic.

Paul, thanks for the link to taperssection. Having a read through it seems they all swear by the Sony and don't think much of the Olympus - albeit the LS-10, which reportedly had severely curtailed bass response.

What is most important here is the ADC (ie analogue to digital convertor). I "upgraded" from my Sony DAT D8 to HiMD to Tascam DR-07. Each time, the tech was better, but the SQ was/is worse, especially the jump to the Tascam. Sony have some nice solid state recorders, which I'm considering moving to at some point.
Note: all of the above were with the same plug-in mics.

Tim, I looked at the Fostex but it's probably overkill for my needs. Also, XLR inputs only, which I can't use.
I have one of these. The unit will accept both mic and line level inputs from canon or TR connectors by dint of using Neutrik "Combo" connectors. It's OK, although a bit over-fussy about recording media... These days I tend to record direct to USB from the LS-9. Possibly overkill for the OP :)

I find most people recording say workshops and talks use Olympus and just shove them to the front and at the HQ for speech I think they are hard to fault. At the same events when music is performed The Edirols have it. If it was just interviews for essentially personal use the Olympus's are so convenient and have long battery lifes. The Edirols are generally used plugged in

I still use an external mike on MD partly because of the issue you raise lenny

tascam stuff lasts and their back up is pro. (sat here typing this listening to music through some tascam pro nearfields out of a old tascam desk) all the install work i do for churches, conference centres and the like I put in tascam cd players, dvd players, etc - its just well built stuff - fostex is good too. would touch zoom with a barge pole and i had to try a interface the olympus thing reliably for a church - ended up putting in a rack mount tascam recorder.....

I've been using the Edirol R09HR for a couple of years, can't fault it. Amazing sound on 24-bit.

advertisement

Back