Porsche GT3RS vs GT2

Green or boring?

• Green one

Votes: 20 55.6%
  • Boring turbo GT2

Votes: 16 44.4%

• Total voters
Final incarnation of the 928,
i thought the Skyline should have been quicker but it just dropped back every time he changed gear. The R33 of that time only had about 280 bhp so the performance specs were optimistic for a c1500kg car
I suspect when they do the runs for performance figures the drivers are skilled and don't change like they're going to own the car for the next 10 years.
The 928 auto reduces power delivery a little for 150 mS and being a decent sized V8 has a broad power band.
Being 2wd on the rear it'll never put the power down for a decent 0-60 but maxing out at 80+ in 2nd is ideal for real world safe overtaking.

Personally can't stand the trend to make all cars silver and houses white, we need more colour in the world.

Nice. Not silver then?

If forced to go the 997 route then i would plump for the gen 2 RS or gen 2 GT3. The gen 1 RS was a bit of a cosmetic marketing exercise (smf notwithstanding) and the gen 2 added much improvement all round.
The GT2 is great but kind of neither fish nor foul. If you want a turbocharged car then get the gen 2 pdk turbo which is mindbendingly quick and does just about any task you care to throw at it.
Hi Lotus: surely the GT2 is more suitable to the track than any urban driving ? Would you get a 997 Turbo (bit cheaper now) or new model 991 Carrera S or save more than half the cash and just get a Beemer 135i for the sheer fun of it ?

A friend of mine has a Orange GT3 RS, I'm not a Porker kind of guy, but it is a great car.

More of a Lotus fan myself, Bring on the Exisge S : ) or CUP version, now they is a serious bit of kit, when Lotus can acually get their act together and deliver some customer cars, I may treat myself : )

There was no answer because there could be no answer: the M135i hits the sweet spot. IMO, IMHO etc etc
In hifi terms it is the Goldilocks 10k (+ or - 30%) system. Mine is a LM blue....:D The perfect fun car for this imperfect world.

Blue...

image-thumb

What about this sludgy greyish colour?

Hmm..

In the (admittedly unlikely) event that Singer couldn't find the exact shade of pastel green required, you could just about make do with one of their off-the-shelf shades from their economy range:

01-singer-911-green.jpg

I like the old racing style bonnet fuel thing, but external oil is a new one on me.
For just one model year, it might have been at the same time as they moved the rear wheels back, so 1969? Porsche put the oil tank forwards of the drive shaft, which necessitated access from the outside. This was a really bad idea because in some countries filling stations still employed monkeys who proceeded to fill the oil tank with petrol.

I can't find my Frere at the moment, but I think this is roughly right.

Paul

I'm a sucker for the 901 gearboxed cars, 71 and earlier. H pattern shift, short stroke engine, topping out at 2.2 liters in 70-71. 180 rated hp from the 's' model, and 125hp in the detuned T model, both from. 2.2 liters :) using different cam profiles and porting.

I had a 2.2l '71 T model, but the shift pattern was dog leg first, and then 2-5 in the conventional H pattern. Hell of a pain trying to downshift quickly coming on to a roundabout and then getting confused as to where 3rd might actually be. Resolved it in the end by thinking of 1st as a crawler gear and the rest a conventional H pattern 4 speed.

Lovely shape car, but the combination of an already ropey and distinctly non galvinised body, and living in a coastal environment nearly broke my heart, and managed to just about put me off the marque for life sadly.

Ah - makes more sense - that is where the oil goes on an air cooled. Are they making space of looking cool? I like the old racing style bonnet fuel thing, but external oil is a new one on me.

Certainly looking cool. This vid is well worth a look, but will make you want to spend nonsense amounts:

This, not so much worth a look, presenter seems idiotic and is clearly not liked very much by car designer:

Last edited by a moderator:

advertisement

Back