advertisement

Porcupine Tree Gig

rod

beach bum
Thought I would mention that the Porcupine Tree gig at the Carling Academy on Sunday was excellent. An unusual format in that the band played the majority of their next album before they have even recorded it.

They played six new tracks right from the off, which was a brave move. I personally thought that there were two superb songs (one of which was an epic getting on for twenty minutes), a few good ones, and one that will probably grow on me after a few listens. A very short break was taken, then on to the rest of the gig. All of the remainder of the songs are on the new dvd. Bollocks, sold out when I went for a copy at the end, as were John Wesley's solo albums. That will teach me to expect merch to be available on the last night...

Arriving Somewhere... in particular was superb, the band really hit their stride. Trains was a worthy closer, with Halo and Blackest Eyes being the well chosen encore.

This band is superb. Gavin Harrison is a drummer many bands would kill for. John Wesley is a great foil for Steven Wilson and Richard Barberi and Colin Edwin are excellent musicians. A great night out and I'm looking forward to the new album. The band are in the US this week, then go into the studio to start recording, hopefully for a 1st Q release.

Set List:

Set 1: 6 new songs.
Set 2: Open Car; Sound of Muzak; Buying New Soul; Arriving Somewhere But Not Here; .3; Start of Something Beautiful; Trains
Encore: Halo; Blackest Eyes

Been like that for a few years now. Wonder if they'll ever let the cat out of the bag. :)

Bugger, missed this one :(

Are the new songs in the vein of Deadwing or are they moving in a different direction again? Has SW finished his flirtation with Death Metal?

'Arriving Somewhere But Not Here' was one of the highlights of the Deadwing gigs even though I'd not heard it before at the time.

And right on cue PT pop up on my ipod :)

The new material was quite varied, though two of them had some almost Tool-like moments. Steven had a little keyboard positioned at the front of the stage for the first set, which he played a couple of times.

Doh - I missed this (somehow I'd missed the fact that they were playing Manchester) :(

...Still, I have Opeth next month to look forward to! :D

advertisement

Back