advertisement

Poor tv Sound, and how to improve it

I'm not sure how it is from a sound quality perspective but I find HDMI ARC more convenient.
The ARC option keeps things simple, so the TV volume (from the soundbar) can be controlled with the TV remote (simples).

I have a Sony soundbar (& sub behind the telly), was about £250 (ten years ago), probably not the best there is (there is so much choice, you just have to pick one and go for it), but many times better than the TV sound.

A soundbar would be appropriate for your situation. I would visit a retailer that offers a wide variety. Some have settings on them that will improve dialogue. Most flat panel tv’s have speakers that face downward and sound really bad compared to even the least expensive soundbar that will direct the sound to your listening position. The Sonos Beam would be appropriate for a 32 inch tv but there are plenty of options from most tv manufacturers that would work just fine. Most all of them have Bluetooth connectivity so you could also play music through them from a phone or tablet.

The soundbar would connect from the optical or HDMI output on your tv. You will want to go to your settings for the tv and disable the speaker built in to the tv. The remote for the tv will operate the soundbar, when the tv is turned on the soundbar will wake up and play the audio, the remote will adjust the volume. When the tv is turned off, the soundbar will power off.

Bear in mind that some films and series are appallingly set up, especially with intrusive music
So some will still be out of earshot
We find some dialogue impossible and this is with TV connected via Toslink to a very good TAD system

For a budget solution opt out->£20 dac->Logitec computer speakers (with sub). Obviously skip the dac if an old telly with analogue outs.

Soundbars are fine.

If it’s setup properly the telly remote will control the volume, which is as I presume your wife would likely prefer.

I expect this soundbar is way, way over price range but boy do they sound good. Detail they produce is unbelievable for a TV sound bar.

https://wolfsound.co.uk

EDIT: Just noticed, they have a 30% off sale on all products, so it is much cheaper but probably still far to much!

I expect this soundbar is way, way over price range but boy do they sound good. Detail they produce is unbelievable for a TV sound bar.

https://wolfsound.co.uk
I'd maybe get away with something like that in a home cinema room (which we did have when the kids were growing up but don't now) - but no way would that be allowed in the living room!

Last edited:
We've got a small Dali Katch bluetooth speaker and it is very clear sounding, so I would think this would be also. The problem for us was the height, it wouldn't quite fit under our tv.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
there's a need to make the TV clearer to hear without having to resort to subtitles.
So why no subtitles ? I can hear pretty well, but sometimes, and especially on "dramas" (TV Series, Films, etc), the characters mumble and do not enunciate well. We use subtitles pretty much all the time. Other wise, it's SPDIF or HDMI out to a dac/speakers or soundbar? Your 32" TV is likely to have crap sound, anyway.

And as someone else pointed out the Wii amp and it's HDMI ARC input is a good solution, it's what I use in a secondary system.

So why no subtitles ? I can hear pretty well, but sometimes, and especially on "dramas" (TV Series, Films, etc), the characters mumble and do not enunciate well. We use subtitles pretty much all the time. Other wise, it's SPDIF or HDMI out to a dac/speakers or soundbar? Your 32" TV is likely to have crap sound, anyway.
I get that about the tv sound, subtitles, to me, miss the point of actually watching something. And forget trying to read anything with a live broadcast

I get that about the tv sound, subtitles, to me, miss the point of actually watching something. And forget trying to read anything with a live broadcast

People get all snobby about those who don't like subtitles, but I find I miss the action while reading the subs.

Most important TV sound is midrange...speech. So to get added clarity there you sould justv add a soundbar that excells on speech. It's certain that small stand mounts will do this too, but are more fiddly to connect.
To add simplicity choose a soundbar that is made by your TV maker....Samsung.
Some research throws these up as a very good and not too costly speech clarifier....with excellent overll sound to boot
Samsung Q series. A bar and a seperate blutooth subwoofer for when its needed...
They are heavy but so what.
In order of cost
HW Q 700 C about 300 quid for VG.
Q 800 B £400 for VVG
Q 800 C, £470 ish for oh? OK!

advertisement

Back