advertisement

Poll : Next Labour Leader.

Who would you like as next leader of the L.P.

• Lisa Nandy

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Keir Starmer

Votes: 88 50.3%
  • Jess Phillips

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • Angela Rayner

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Rebecca Long-Bailey

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Emily Thornberry

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 35 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You need someone who can take down boris on pmq, can keep the blairites on board and who has enough empathy and conviction to lead people together.

And they have to want to work with Stahmer, who I dont think is right for the role, but you couldn't want for a better political thinker. Also they need a good spin doctor, someone who understands the public, but isn't a massive cnut.

If Labour have learned anything from this election, it is that the people want to see a Statesman like figure at the head of the party to represent the country, like Sir Keir Starmer for example, and not some scruff like Jeremy Corbyn...

Wasn't sure how far down the betting to go so if anyone who voted Other wants me to add their choice let me know.

Boris is the first UK post-truth politician, so proving him 'wrong' by careful argumentation is neither here or there. This rules out Starmer. Labour needs an x-factor politician, not from London, and that means Jess Phillips.

That is now a brownie point on his CV

For some people, but not for others. It's factionalism that does for the left, time and time again. The new leader needs to be able to work with, at a bare minimum, a broad chunk of the Labour Party (maybe not all, as there are some fringe weirdos, but almost all). Get the Lib Dems and the Greens on board for bonus points.

And bring back the TIGgers, and those that fled the Tory Party in disgust.

If Labour have learned anything from this election, it is that the people want to see a Statesman like figure at the head of the party to represent the country, like Sir Keir Starmer for example, and not some scruff like Jeremy Corbyn...

But the country is now lead by a scruff! Someone who deliberately messes up his hair before appearing. And Corbyn took Cameron's kind (*) advice and scrubbed up OK in the end.

* other adjectives are available

Starmer won't get a look in. Labour are so right-on up tight they don't have arseholes. They will choose a woman.

Starmer would be a good choice but it is a political career death sentence. Two terms in opposition for who ever gets the nod.

I hope they take at least two months over the whole process, because the political landscape changes hugely on (or maybe even before) 31 January. There is no reason the new leader needs to be tasked with living out the fag-end of our EU membership: let Corbyn or a caretaker do that.

The newbie needs to have a policy in place for the UK post-EU. This may mean rejoin, or standing up for a closer relationship than Johnson has in mind. They also need to decide what they think is going to happen, both in the transition period, and afterwards, and take an appropriate stance. Is it going to be basically OK? Will there be a recession? Are there going to be food & medicine shortages? Johnson will say it is going to be wonderful, of course. If Labour badly misjudge it, in either direction, that will be the end of another leader.

Kind regards

- Garry

Starmer won't get a look in. They will choose a woman.

I fear you are correct. The sensible thing to do is to just offer him the job, but no doubt they will chose a woman because they think it's the politically correct thing to do. If they're not careful, the Labour party will end up in the long grass, for years to come.

I felt they lost credibility when they chose the wrong Miliband brother, been downhill since. Pretty sure David won’t return to the party in the state it’s in.

Keir Starmer would be my current choice if I was interested! He was certainly good on his feet last time I saw him in the Commons.

Garry, you're right, no rush, which I think Corbyn/s team, have already sussed, hence him saying he'll take his time in stepping down.

What won't do is if Corbyn uses that time to boost his favoured successor and/or undermine others. He has to be neutral about the next leader, or hand over to a caretaker who can be. I think it's fair to say there is some suspicion about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back