advertisement

Polishing

Before going down the abrasive route, I would try other things first. Maybe very hot water and washing up liquid on a very soft cloth to start? If that doesn't work, maybe wipe over with pure IPA (we use this at work to wipe over plastic instrument cases, to de-grease before bonding screens on and IPA does not attack the plastic, at least the Polycarbonate we use is ok). Obviously, try both on a less obviously visible bit if possible first.

I have an NVA passive and phono stage (acrylic boxes) and find a microfibre cloth with a little "pledge" or "mr sheen" works well for cleaning.
Spray a little on the cloth, be very gentle when rubbing and change cloth (go on to fresh section) regularly as bits of debris/dust can leave micro scratches/blurs.

1) Lukewarm water and non-abrasive detergent
2) Isopropyl alcohol 20%/Water 80%.
IPA can (in some cases) leave a whiteish residue, which can be removed by the above (water/detergent). If ye use alcohol , test on a very small area, using a cotton bud. Use cotton buds anyway.​

I've been using this stuff for decades. Plastics fabricator shops tend to carry it (at least over here in NA) or it can be ordered online.

NOVUS PLASTIC CLEAN & SHINE

Gently cleans all plastics without scratching. Leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust, and eliminates static.

plastic-clean-shine.jpg

Buy Now
  • Resists finger marking
  • Contains no abrasives or harsh chemicals
  • Leaves a smooth, clean, greaseless shine
  1. If the surface is extremely dirty, apply NOVUS No. 1 liberally and wipe using long, sweeping strokes. Do not use pressure at this time or large dirt particles may scratch the plastic.
  2. Re-apply NOVUS No. 1. Polish using short, circular strokes with a clean portion of the cloth.
  3. When surface is thoroughly clean and uniformly covered, buff to a slippery glaze with a clean portion of the cloth. Surfaces buffed to a high glaze are more resistant to dust and future scratching.
  4. Reapply NOVUS No. 1 regularly to maintain the antistatic, smudge and scratch resistant properties.

Last edited:
Reactions: ask

advertisement

Back