advertisement

Pointing Super-tweeters on Quad 57's at the ceiling

Big John

pfm Member
I watched the video below from G R Research. The video comments on various Super-tweeter positioning with pro/con results culminating in pointing the super -tweeters straight up for use with open baffle speakers, I reasoned that my OTA Quad 57's are open baffle ie dipole, so I modified my Taket Bat Pure Super-tweeters which I had mounted in the mouths of horns & pointed them at the ceiling. I am astounded at the results; bass, mid-range treble all improved, further the ambience and space around instruments is palpable. I am really happy I can only assume some phase cancellation effect has been resolved, I noticed a further improvement returning both Super-tweeters to out of phase since the Quad 57's are phase inverting.

Given the increasingly beaming nature of high frequencies, what is the highest frequency of an upward firing supertweeter that can be expected to reach the listening seat? Frequencies above 15kHz from a typical dome tweeter drop pretty steeply as you move off-axis, so unless the ceiling has diffusion to scatter the sound around the room, or angled reflectors to direct it back toward the listening seat, I don't see how an upward-firing supertweeter can extend a system's frequency response as much as a forward- or rear-firing one?

Last edited:
Given the increasingly beaming nature of high frequencies, what is the highest frequency of an upward firing supertweeter that can be expected to reach the listening seat? Frequencies above 15kHz from a typical dome tweeter drop pretty steeply as you move off-axis, so unless the ceiling has diffusion to scatter the sound around the room, or angled reflectors to direct it back toward the listening speaker, I don't see how an upward-firing supertweeter can extend a system's frequency response as much as a forward- or rear-firing one?

If you add the fact that I am 70 + & done at 12kh even more remarkable, however it as I stated maybe a phase cancellation effect has been removed ESL's radiate backwards as well as forwards unlike boxes. whatever in my room with 8' ceiling it works. Watch the GRR video...

Have to say I watched that with some mirth since my speakers use a crossover-less full range driver and a front firing super-tweeter!

I watched the video below from G R Research. The video comments on various Super-tweeter positioning with pro/con results culminating in pointing the super -tweeters straight up for use with open baffle speakers, I reasoned that my OTA Quad 57's are open baffle ie dipole, so I modified my Taket Bat Pure Super-tweeters which I had mounted in the mouths of horns & pointed them at the ceiling. I am astounded at the results; bass, mid-range treble all improved, further the ambience and space around instruments is palpable. I am really happy I can only assume some phase cancellation effect has been resolved, I noticed a further improvement returning both Super-tweeters to out of phase since the Quad 57's are phase inverting.

When I got my supertweeters I tried different positions and thought I could hear a difference, but the cleaner kept moving them to the spot and orientation which she thought looked good, and in the end that's where they stayed. I don't use them now, a good amp gives me all the percieved detail and large stage I need.

Anything to do with the Taket Batpure should include mirth.

You should try the Taket Batpures facing forwards, just above the Seas driver with speakers having concentric Seas drivers as in the Wd20T. There I would beg to differ. Quite remarkable, but would probably agree with you that as in my WD25T they seem to do very little pointing upwards.

Last edited:
Methinks this will hugely depend on room dimensions. Do you have a low ceiling?

advertisement

Back