advertisement

Plinth amplifies noise when touched

richardg

Admonishtrator
I just got a budget turntable for my birthday, ATLPW40WN.

Touching the plinth results in a bit of boom through to the speakers. Why is this? Seems like the whole unit wants to act as a microphone.

The noise is transferring From the plinth through to to the arm and cartridge.

Probably nothing you can do about it other then don’t touch the plinth.

Higher end turntables use isolation to avoid unwanted noise but to be honest, pretty any noise will be transmitted through to the tonearm, no matter what turntable it is if you touch the plinth, they’re super sensitive things turntables.

The noise is transferring From the plinth through to to the arm and cartridge.

Probably nothing you can do about it other then don’t touch the plinth.

Higher end turntables use isolation to avoid unwanted noise but to be honest, pretty any noise will be transmitted through to the tonearm, no matter what turntable it is if you touch the plinth, they’re super sensitive things turntables.
I have a Technics SL10, it's almost silent when you touch it.

This is totally normal behavior for a rigid turntable sitting on a big wooden box. Yes, a budget turntable will be worse but they'll all do it to some extent.

One of the reasons more expensive turntables cost more is that they do something about this. Not because you can hear the thunk when you tap the plinth but because the pinth also picks up sound from the speakers and amplifies it into the music.

As HifiDan stated, it’s a fairy typical issue with lightweight decks that have no or minimal isolation between the chassis, and the platter, bearing arm and stylus assembly. Feedback through the air tends to have an almost howl where the the deck picks up vibrations from the speakers which are amplified and the speakers excite the deck creating a feedback loop.
In your case, just don’t tap the plinth!

As HifiDan stated, it’s a fairy typical issue with lightweight decks that have no or minimal isolation between the chassis, and the platter, bearing arm and stylus assembly. Feedback through the air tends to have an almost howl where the the deck picks up vibrations from the speakers which are amplified and the speakers excite the deck creating a feedback loop.
In your case, just don’t tap the plinth!
indeed, but now my OCD can hear a hollow bass in the music!

the floor is concrete, and the turntable is not on the same box as the speakers, will it really make much difference?
Yeah, it will. Not too bad at low volume but the louder it is the more the box will catch the sound and feed vibrations into the turntable. What the deck sits on makes a big difference to any turntable.

Yeah, it will. Not too bad at low volume but the louder it is the more the box will catch the sound and feed vibrations into the turntable. What the deck sits on makes a big difference to any turntable.
ok, i used to have a wall mounted turntable but only because i had floorboards.

ok, i used to have a wall mounted turntable but only because i had floorboards.
It depends on how far you want to go? There are always better turntables, better ways to set them up, where does it end? Fecked if I know! Do you want to play this game? Drop into this rabbit hole? Or just play records?

It depends on how far you want to go? There are always better turntables, better ways to set them up, where does it end? Fecked if I know! Do you want to play this game? Drop into this rabbit hole? Or just play records?
To be fair I have an SL10 and it shits all over it, so I am already there to a degree. I wanted a better second system and she jumped in with a surpise, when I am sure the new SL1500C would have been bang on. So now my job is to get it sounding ok for the next couple of years and then trade it in. It's not horrible sounding, but lacks a bit of everything and of course adds boom when you touch it, making me wonder how much boom it is adding even when I don't touch it.

advertisement

Back