advertisement

Please recommend an amp for Tannoy HPD315

33.3rpm

pfm Member
I bought a pair of Cheviots 2 months ago and have been in storage up north. They are now in Suffolk with a relative so getting closer to me (London) and hope to have them soon. They will need new foams and the cabinets will need sprucing up but I’m looking forward to their arrival.

I currently have AN OTO SE with a pair of AN-Js and have read that the OTO won’t be a good match for the Cheviots. Could someone recommend suitable amplification for under £500 (or preferably less)?

Thanks.

I have a Revox a78 mk2 in for repair at the moment and a NAD 3130 in the garage. Would either be a possible candidate?

I will do that but both amps would need service/re-cap due to their age so wondering if something slightly newer might be more suitable.

I ran an Oto SE with a pair of Chatsworths (12" Golds) and they worked well together.

Definitely try the AN amp with your speakers.

I currently have AN OTO SE with a pair of AN-Js and have read that the OTO won’t be a good match for the Cheviots.

It will be fine unless you want to blow the windows out. Tannoys are efficient and ten Watts goes a very long way. I’ve only heard them struggle on certain SETs, e.g. 300Bs, a good 10 Watts or above push/pull keeps them in control at any level I’d want to listen at.

That’s reassuring. I don’t play stuff particularly loudly but read that the damping abilities of single-end are not great so could make them sound a bit woolly. I guess I will try out the amps I have and see what’s what.

I think you'll be OK. I've used all kinds of things with big Tannoys. Even a Cyrus 1! I've had Quad amps for years with 15" Golds and HPDs - a 606 ought to be too much but somehow isn't. A 306 works fine. I've used WAD 6550 valves too. The only thing that felt underpowered was 7.5W 300B single ended and even then in a small room it would probably be adequate.

advertisement

Back