advertisement

Please recommend a radio station for work

RICHARD1111

pfm Member
We have Radio 2 on in the office....and I'm really not a fan and no-one else particularly likes it....we just don't know what to have instead.
Are there any Internet stations you recommend we try?

We don't like the standard commercial ones like Heart or Greatest hits as we don't like all the adverts.

We're wanting something easy going, middle of the road without adverts (I don't even know if there are other stations without adverts othere than the BBC?)

Many thanks,

Richard.

Perhaps too obvious but Radio 6 Music. No adverts and alternative music to Radio 2.

It's just a shame Cerys Matthews is not on 7 days a week.

But then, we can't expect every day to be a Sunday.

Jazz FM premium no adverts @£3.99 a month or suffer the adverts, the premium version gets you loads and loads of stations too, soul, rock classical etc etc. the weekday morning and afternoon shows are very good IMO. The presenters just get out of the way of the music.

Unfortunately despite the name its DAB or internet only no FM

Get a planet radio premium subscription for £3.99 a month and there’s dozens of stations available, most ad free. There’s a good selection of absolute radio stations depending on your mood.

Perhaps too obvious but Radio 6 Music. No adverts and alternative music to Radio 2.

It's just a shame Cerys Matthews is not on 7 days a week.

But then, we can't expect every day to be a Sunday.
Day time schedule is poor imho, can’t even listen to Mary Ann Hobbs. Radio Paradise is my go to now, usually the Mellow Mix.

Cheers BB

Day time schedule is poor imho, can’t even listen to Mary Ann Hobbs. Radio Paradise is my go to now, usually the Mellow Mix.

Cheers BB
My plan would be to replay the Cerys Matthews show on BBC Sounds catch up on demand.

Marvellous section yesterday on curlews and music inspired by curlews.

You're right. The weekday stuff is not a patch on that.

PS: Radio Caroline is worth a try. Currently playing Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun at half past nine on a Monday morning.

Great!

My plan would be to replay the Cerys Matthews show on BBC Sounds catch up on demand.

Marvellous section yesterday on curlews and music inspired by curlews.

You're right. The weekday stuff is not a patch on that.

PS: Radio Caroline is worth a try. Currently playing Set the controls for the Heart of the Sun at half past nine on a Monday morning.

Great!
I don't mind Cerys and she has been known to set my pulse racing, but there's a lot of chat on her show, not necessarily great for workplace background. I like The Hawk on early breakfast, a wide selection of music and he has an ear for a good new tune. Lauren Laverne plays some good tunes but she grates on me after a while.

The BBC seem to assume that anyone over 40 should be listening to Radio 2, 3 or 4 and has tried to move 6 Music towards a younger audience, as a result a rarely listen to anything live anymore but have to pick and chose things on Sounds.

Cheers BB

Radio Paradise main or mellow mix is a firm favourite in this house. I like the Linn and Naim stations too but they can be a bit repetitive.

Radio Bob in Germany, especially the Prog stream :)
Lots of different genres, no ads or chat , in CD quality.
then Paradise, 4 great stations there.
And consider being a supporter.

Another Radio Paradise vote here. Mellow mix or whatever they call it these days sounds like what you need but you might want to have an occasional burst of the main mix as it’s a wider variety as you’d expect - depends on whether folk object to the extremities of their playlist.
I think personally I might find it difficult to work with RP on as there are so many tracks I want to note and bands/albums I want to check out more fully; hardly a recipe for my most productive day ever!

Radio Paradise for me. 6 Music sometimes works but weekday mornings post breakfast are hard work. Very dance heavy, if I'm working I have to turn it off. Then again i prefer no music if i'm trying to think.

I didn't realise there were different mixes.... I'll try them in the car on the way home.

I have a little Denon all in one in the office and it can select internet stations, but I haven't tried to find any of the paradise ones yet.

I'm not surprised, but Radio Paradise.
Many varied mixes all the way the back to the 1980's you never know what's coming.
Some of it it is crap, other stuff is eye opening.
FLAC level sound quality and minimal jockey speach - except to ask for donation - which I did.
I've been introduced to much new and exciting music from it playing in the bacground.

advertisement

Back