advertisement

Please recomend for a friend

Bracksy

pfm Member
Ok so my friend is getting an ATC CDA2 next week.
It hasn't got a usb input for computer audio.
Please recomend a good USB to spdif converter for about £50

Many Thanks

Ok so my friend is getting an ATC CDA2 next week.
It hasn't got a usb input for computer audio.
Please recomend a good USB to spdif converter for about £50

Many Thanks

We used to pair the CDA2 with the Stello U3 @ £365, so haven't tried a much cheaper interface converter, apart from the M2Tech HiFace 2 @ £140, which with a suitable 75 ohm cable will do the job nicely.

Regards,
Peter

I use a Muse, cost about £15 from a UK supplier on eBay, I think more expensive higher spec versions are also available, cost less than a good Ixos 1.5m long cable. It's USB powered, has SPDIF coax, Toslink mini, and 3.5mm headphone out (no volume control) all in a unit about the size of a matchbox. If you get one and then move on you have a reasonable headphone amp for you laptop.

By far the best performing converter at this price is the 24/96 async SMSL. The Behringer is a good alternative if only 16/44.1 and optical are needed.

We carry - and compare - SPDIF converters ranging from £20 to £2200: they vary more than you might think, and are pretty responsive to how they're powered.

I could bundle a little linear supply with the SMSL for barely more than your budget: for 24/96 and CD quality it will be quite a step up from the HiFace sonically, but will not do the full 24/192.

advertisement

Back