advertisement

Please help with 78 cartridge

allthingsanalog

pfm Member
I'm looking for thoughts on a good all round 78 cartridge. I don't want to go mad and most of my 78's are 40's onwards.

I see Ortofon do a plug n play 2m78 that's already in a headshell but it only tracks at 2.25g, is this to light?

I've also seen the grado and shure m78.

Also is there a cheap 78 phono stage? Is this any good?
TC-778sm.jpg

Thanks

I use a Stanton 505.V3 with a 78 transcription stylus tracking at 6g, the higher end of the 2g - 7g range for the stylus. I don’t use a 78 phono stage, so the equalisation is wrong, but most of my 78s are quite worn and I doubt I’d notice too much difference.

For a low cost start try a 78 stylus fitted to a readily available "workhorse" cartridge like a Stanton 500 or Shure M44. You may have something at the back of a drawer or you can get one cheap. A 3mil stylus will only be £15-20. Try with your existing phono stage and tone controls if you have them. If you like your records or want to collect more then buy a decent phono stage later, but it really needs some switchable equalisation curves and that ain't cheap. I have heard people have success with the tilting tone controls on quad pre-amps too, but I've not heard them.

I have an unused 2M 78. Let me know if of interest.

Regards a 78 stage, I can’t imagine you need to spend a fortune - at the end of the day 78s are a somewhat limited media.

On the off chance that there's a need for such things, in what must be a very niche market, I can build phono stages to suit any and all EQ requirements and for any and all weird/vintage/unusual cartridges to order... Obviously if there's something available made in China/mass produced I can't get anywhere near it's price.. this is more a case of if you are after something not available from elsewhere... please enquire.

I play my 78s on a Goldring Lenco B55 deck rescued from a Bush Arena music centre. I've replaced the arm with an old and scruffy SME 3009 SII Cartridge is a lowly Ortofon. ( OM5 or summat?) with an Ortofon 78 stylus. I play it via my
EAR 834 P, but that's because it's the only phono stage I currently possess. For a budget solution I'd look for any old amp with a phono stage. Use phono in and line out to whatever you have...

My 78s range from 30s/40s to a collection of late 50s R&R. They sound OK.

Mull

Technical and General will advise on 78 replay. Stylus profiles for different periods etc.
Very helpful last time I called, but it was some time ago.

SL1200 or Clone for fine speed control ( 70-90rpm ) & a selection of stylus tips 3.0mil
use modern Ortofon/Nagoaka Stereo MM & just pop in the correct 78 stylus of your choice & place a sticker on the record with best option - 80/3.5
( 80rpm / 3.5mil )

The generally accepted tip radius for playback of 78 RPM records is 3.0 Mil (0,003 inch).
Due to the playback in the past of these very old records with very high stylus pressure or even
with steel needles a lot of damage has been caused to the grooves. This damage is
the cause of a lot of distortion and back-ground noise. Sometimes better results can
be achieved by playing the record either on a lower part or a higher part of the groove
which may have been damaged less than the average height. To play-back at a higher
level, use either the 3.5 mil, 4.0 mil. To playback at a lower groove level use either
the 2.0 mil, or 2.5 mil tip. When you have found the best height affix a sticker to the
record so you will know the next time which stylus tip to use for best results.

SL1200 or Clone for fine speed control ( 70-90rpm ) & a selection of stylus tips 3.0mil
use modern Ortofon/Nagoaka Stereo MM & just pop in the correct 78 stylus of your choice & place a sticker on the record with best option - 80/3.5
( 80rpm / 3.5mil )

The generally accepted tip radius for playback of 78 RPM records is 3.0 Mil (0,003 inch).
Due to the playback in the past of these very old records with very high stylus pressure or even
with steel needles a lot of damage has been caused to the grooves. This damage is
the cause of a lot of distortion and back-ground noise. Sometimes better results can
be achieved by playing the record either on a lower part or a higher part of the groove
which may have been damaged less than the average height. To play-back at a higher
level, use either the 3.5 mil, 4.0 mil. To playback at a lower groove level use either
the 2.0 mil, or 2.5 mil tip. When you have found the best height affix a sticker to the
record so you will know the next time which stylus tip to use for best results.

Fantastic advice, thank you . Just saved this info!

advertisement

Back