advertisement

Plastic in kettles...

I presume it is just a particulate filter? carbon?

shouldn't stop the k boiling?

Rowlett toaster here.
worlds-longest-toaster.jpg
Can you cook pork chops in it?

Good luck stay safe.

One advantage of hard water, apart from tasting better, is that it leaves a nice protective layer of lime scale inside the kettle which insulates you from all that nasty, reactive plastic.
You jest, but this is a known factor in lead piping for plumbing. The water suppliers ahve carried out a phased replacement on public supply pipes, starting with those in acid water areas because these are the ones where the lead dissolves into the water. Hard water areas deposit lime inside the pipes, it is actually a visible white film. and this protects the lead. Of course older houses still have lead pipes.

As for plastic, any plastics used for food packaging or preparation have to comply with the Materials & Articles In Contact With Food Regs. So it's been tested as safe. Which you can choose to believe and trust or not. Science just put a rocket on Mars, they didn't do that without testing, but testing was also carried out on the tiles on Grenfell Tower. The tinfoil hats are in the radiation-shielded box by the door.

It's more straightforward with a kettle than with a block of flats, the tile manufacturers can point to the installers. In the case of a kettle that you buy in Asda the regulatory authorities have one port of call, Asda Head Office, and they get medieval on their ass.

One advantage of hard water, apart from tasting better, is that it leaves a nice protective layer of lime scale inside the kettle which insulates you from all that nasty, reactive plastic.

Now that IS encouraging as I've now lived in two hard water areas (tasty stuff!). I've always discarded filters in electric kettles as being totally redundant and impeding pouring; could never see the point of them.

My Dualit toaster is 25.

I threw away my Dualit kettle last year - at 24 - because the paint had worn off of the wooden handle.

I took the entire plastic filter assembly out out of my kettle earlier, it looked like a pretty ineffective thing to start with to be honest.

I had to replace the filter in my Dualit kettle. Given the limited space and my inherent clumsiness it was not an easy job.

With ours it was just a small metal tab that had to be folded back. Said tab happens to be at max fill level so I'm pretty much convinced filter and spout bit is a waste of time to replace.

Can you cook pork chops in it?

Good luck stay safe.
I once cooked a Mattersons sausage in it's bag in a kettle in a travel lodge to make a hot dog when everywhere to eat was shut, I did rinse out the kettle afterwards

Our Dualit toaster is in it's 14th year now, I replaced the timer last year other than that very pleased with it. I did buy an Alessi kettle, the one with a bird on the spout, that lasted about 2 years before the element went, non replaceable

Think the traditional Japanese kettle is cast iron, you're not doing it proper in a glass kettle.

Plus Scottish water is better, especially the stuff flavoured by dead sheep. :D

All-stainless 3kw Tefal here, it's lasted me 18years; and still shiney / all you get once in a while is the odd flake of limestone to nibble-on (Bath's source is the Mendips, so water is ...fairly-to-really rather hard!)

As for the idea of input filters in unattended kettles - good idea in other parts of the world: Gecko soup, yes, I've made it ....

I put my kettle on the stove, so it only wears out if you forget about it and it boils dry and melts.

sadly not, have you seen the size of the plastic those poor things end up eating! This will be so minuscule we wouldn’t even notice and will probably pass through us without doing anywhere near as much harm

Or maybe not.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...are also known to,traces of plastic in tissue.

It probably mixes well with the Teflon inside our tissues. Funny how Teflon is non stick yet it sticks to our bodies, though maybe not the right choice of word.

Teflon, it turns out, gets its nonstick properties from a toxic, nearly indestructible chemical called pfoa, or perfluorooctanoic acid. Used in thousands of products from cookware to kids’ pajamas to takeout coffee cups, pfoa is a likely human carcinogen, according to a science panel commissioned by the Environmental Protection Agency. It shows up in dolphins off the Florida coast and polar bears in the Arctic; it is present, according to a range of studies, in the bloodstream of almost every American—and even in newborns (where it may be associated with decreased birth weight and head circumference).

Or maybe not.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/aug/17/microplastic-particles-discovered-in-human-organs#:~:text=People are also known to,traces of plastic in tissue.

It probably mixes well with the Teflon inside our tissues. Funny how Teflon is non stick yet it sticks to our bodies, though maybe not the right choice of word.

Teflon, it turns out, gets its nonstick properties from a toxic, nearly indestructible chemical called pfoa, or perfluorooctanoic acid. Used in thousands of products from cookware to kids’ pajamas to takeout coffee cups, pfoa is a likely human carcinogen, according to a science panel commissioned by the Environmental Protection Agency. It shows up in dolphins off the Florida coast and polar bears in the Arctic; it is present, according to a range of studies, in the bloodstream of almost every American—and even in newborns (where it may be associated with decreased birth weight and head circumference).

An interesting read, thanks for the link. So, the long term effects are not known and may not be for sometime. Doesn’t bode well for future generations both human and wildlife.

If we’re lucky the impact will be minimal, if we’re not, well it probably doesn’t bare thinking about. The one slight positive, medicine is at least advancing at an amazing rate so hopefully we can minimise or reverse any negative effects

I realize you’re kidding but lime scale makes kettles louder, IME. Descaling with sodium bicarbonate fixes it.

advertisement

Back