advertisement

Places to sell hifi

twg

Well after lots of messing about with my room i have made the decision to sell up, and start again with a smaller lower cost system so all of my current system is being sold. So i am looking for the best places to advertise it, i have not got enough time on here to use the classified section, so where else to people use / recommend .

E Bay seems to pop up as the default when speaking to people, but i have heard horror stories as well any suggestions.

Thanks

Well after lots of messing about with my room i have made the decision to sell up, and start again with a smaller lower cost system so all of my current system is being sold. So i am looking for the best places to advertise it, i have not got enough time on here to use the classified section, so where else to people use / recommend .

E Bay seems to pop up as the default when speaking to people, but i have heard horror stories as well any suggestions.

Thanks

HiFi Wigwam. It always works for me.

Thanks
If you havn't got time on here I presume you are after quick sales which leaves one place only as you suggest though there are the fees!!

I have been selling on ebay for 8 years, experienced 3 problems so I wouldn't read too much into the "horror stories" if you are upfront with the ad, good clear photo's & description you will be fine, you could also insist on cash on collection only to make sure, you will receive less but have piece of mind.

List on a buy it now instead of auction, put them up for 3-5 days, sell much more easily in my experience, I never use the auction option.

You could place a forum post on a website where you are required to be a member for a while and hope you get some private mails.

oh wait..

Thanks
What do you have for sale?

You could place a forum post on a website where you are required to be a member for a while and hope you get some private mails.

oh wait..

I had not mentioned anything i have to sell so there will be an awful lot of fishing pm's then, to be honest that had not even crossed my mind, was browsing the forum pondering the question so just typed it with out thinking too much about it.

I have been a member for a few months but given i am a beginner in this game i had nothing to constructive to contribute only questions hence lack of posts.

I've used eBay for many years without incident. Good advice on here up to now.

Numerous, clear photographs with an honest (warts & all) description. I always specify UK only and install relevant filters. Collect only depends on your location, wouldn't work for me in the sticks of Wales.

In my experience, if you make your item really desirable, the price achieved more than compensates for the eBay fees.

Good luck whichever way you choose.

38 posts to go.

Be moderate in all things. Got any thoughts on using mains cable as speaker cables?

Which mains cable T+E , MIC or SWA ?, the last two a bit of a pig to get in the rack and hide but the first is fine as long as you don't work harden the cores bending them to make the termination :)

I think if you pay £50 you can forego the 50 post threshold.

This may be an option depending on the value of what you have to sell

I have had success on there in the past but it seems to have slowed down now hence the question.

I think that's due to Panjo which has put a lot of people off. In my experience it's not as problematic as some have made out, it just takes a little more effort.

The Wigwam seems to have a more eclectic mix of members which I think makes it easier sell a wider range of stuff, particularly if it's not Naim, Linn or a DAC!

Thanks
You just made me laugh.
Not enough time to use the classified on here?
But enough time to let everyone know you are selling shit?:rolleyes:
Tony should shut down your PM In box.

Thanks

Don't be put of too much by scare stories, E Bay is an easy way to sell stuff you no longer need, I've sold a couple of phono stages & a few cartridges after a recent upgrade of my system & everything went smoothly. Just make sure you are honest & list everything as accurately as you can, don't try & hide anything like if something is visibly marked & also put a reserve on to stop a bidder getting a last minute bargain & you will be fine.

Let him shut it down i really could not care less that was not my intention, all i wanted to to is ask a question to which i have had lots if sensible answers.

I think if you pay £50 you can forego the 50 post threshold.

This may be an option depending on the value of what you have to sell

Thats what i have done in the past else where, bit not seen that on here i did look.

If there please point me in the right direction.

Don't be put of too much by scare stories, E Bay is an easy way to sell stuff you no longer need, I've sold a couple of phono stages & a few cartridges after a recent upgrade of my system & everything went smoothly. Just make sure you are honest & list everything as accurately as you can, don't try & hide anything like if something is visibly marked & also put a reserve on to stop a bidder getting a last minute bargain & you will be fine.

As with many things you only hear the negative , and the only experience i have is the wife getting scammed , that said i did tell her but she carried on regardless!

advertisement

Back