advertisement

Pitch for a used Static Caravan

A tradesman i use purchased a new caravan £37,000 with annual site fees of £2700. If he wishes to sell it but he cannot place an ad in the window and it is difficult to advertise by other means which effectively means that he has to sell it back to the site owner and after two years other similar caravans are £13,000. As with cars there are bargains to be had but not buying new.

How would they stop him putting an ad in the window?

I am going to make a lucky guess:

It Seems To Me...

ISTM that this is an expensive game:

Purchase of new static caravan: £25,000 (or more)
Annual site fees: £3000.
Your 25k investment is worthless after 10 years. Presumably you also have to pay for scrappage.
That works out at £5500 a year less what you make from renting it out when you are not there yourself.

I would rather buy a 4-bedroom town house with garden in a small town in the Limousin for €80,000.

Steve - Don't forget Water, Bottled Gas, Electric, Insurance, Council Tax, draining off for winter, initial siting charges and wooden skirting/decking.

I am going to make a lucky guess:

It Seems To Me...

ISTM that this is an expensive game:

Purchase of new static caravan: £25,000 (or more)
Annual site fees: £3000.
Your 25k investment is worthless after 10 years. Presumably you also have to pay for scrappage.
That works out at £5500 a year less what you make from renting it out when you are not there yourself.

I would rather buy a 4-bedroom town house with garden in a small town in the Limousin for €80,000.

Static Van, maybe so. But mobile homes, have the same rules. That's a racket. Lot of people with homes worth several hundred thousands buy mobile homes to get at the equity in their bricks and mortar.

I guess we're lucky - our lodge (a bit more than a static) is on a Camping & Caravanning site in the Lake District. We've a fifty-year lease and as it happens our place has increased substantially in value since we bought it three years ago. Should we wish to sell we have to go through the C & C.C. but it's still been a good investment.

There are advantages to owning one of these lodges compared with buying bricks and mortar in such places; property prices, when you can find something to buy, are sky-high, then you've got the aggravation of looking after a garden and security whilst you're not there. Even so, it's not cheap.

Kind of grates that the company promotes itself as carbon neutral, environmentally responsible, green, sustainable tourism etc.

Emperors New Clothes

advertisement

Back