advertisement

Pioneer TX9500 tuner

zener

fluff
I've just bought the above vintage tuner for the sum of £9. Now its supposed to rather good. So what sort of aerial should i get for this piece of 70's wonder. Can I use a loft aerial or is roof mounting the only option.

I suppose that will depend on how close you are to a transmitter.

That's been my FM experience.

In some areas I've been fine with just a bit of wire!

£9 at a local St Claires hospice charity shop. I'm in Harlow essex and the transmitter is Alexadra Palace.

I've just bought the above vintage tuner for the sum of £9. Now its supposed to rather good. So what sort of aerial should i get for this piece of 70's wonder. Can I use a loft aerial or is roof mounting the only option.

A decent tuner deserves a decent aerial. It needn't be on the roof unless the signal is weak, the loft will do. Get at least four elements and some decent low-loss co-ax to connect it to your tuner.

If you do happen to live in a difficult area, Ron Smith in Luton is the man for aerials

My God, the stuff I traded in for next to nothing and wish I'd kept...

The Pioneer was a superb, sensitive tuner with very good - excellent sound quality too. A "pro" mate swore/swears by his and made some superb recordings from radio 3 from it.

Get the best aerial you can. Always better to attenuate a strong signal than boost a weak one.

That was some bargain!

I thoroughly enjoyed running a TX9800 which is widely regarded as not quite as good as the TX9500. It will sound stunning on R3 broadcasts, rivaling the best vinyl and CD sources on a live feed IMO and with a decent aerial you'll also pull in the reggae, hip-hop and dance pirate station broadcasting from London. Set selectivity to 'wide' for most BBC and local stations and use 'Narrow' to week out those interesting programs broadcast from a squat in a tower block :)

Stunning bargain Jon!!

Up hear in Sheffield we have a company who manufacture fine aerials- Blakes,they have everything from a simple folded dipole to a multi-element array.

Also use the best low loss double screened co-ax,CT100 min if poss and terminate direct to input on Tuner as opposed to a wall socket if poss.

Sit back and enjoy,it's a great buy!!

The charity shop doesnt normally sell electrical goods. This Tuner was in a box of stuff a guy had bought in. It had no mains lead to speak of , it had been cut off , the shop were going to throw it in the skip , I just happened to be there at the right time and offered to take it off their hands and put £9 in their collection box (thats what I had on me) It wasnt until I got home and looked it up , that I realised what I had. I need to fit the mains lead and fire it up with a T aerial.

advertisement

Back