advertisement

Pioneer TX7800 tuner

Paul Dimaline

12" round member
Just picked up one of these beasts for a piffling £15!

PICTURE

As you can see its got all the Retro Fi essentials such as a big well weighted tuning dial, signal and tuning meters, switch's with strange words on them......and its big and silver!

Mine doest have the wooden case, but I can easily fix that. Its in mint condition, and I mean mint, there is not a mark on it anywhere, and having carried it from one end of Nottingham to the other I can confirm that it is heavy.

I'll report again when its up and running.

Paul.

Cool. Looks virtually identical to my TX-9800, except mine doesn't have the wooden bits.

Good tuners, these old Pioneers.

-- Ian

I think the wooden bits are US market.

I have a TX-9800. I'm not sure it's a good tuner but it's certainly fun to own. I suppose I ought to build a PSU and fire (!) up my Quad FM1.

BTW I have scans of the TX-9800 manual with circuit diagram if anybody wants it.

Paul

I just sold my Tx9800 for £160. Lovely tuner with superb build. The 7800 is very similar but lacks the quartz lock of it's big brother and has a 4 gang front end in place of 5 gang on the 9800.

If it sounds anything like the 9800 you have a bargain.

Rob.

Pluged it in quickly this morning and am at the moment listening the Sounds of the Sixties, and very nice it is too.
I am in no way experianced with tuners so cant comment on its sound compared with the competition but to my ears it's very good indeed.
Not the warm and wooly rose tinted sound I was expecting (although it does only date from 1979), this is quite sharp and detailed but without any harshness whatsoever. Bass is well balanced and full but not at all soft or ill-defined.
Very pleased indeed and well worth £15

PS Paul, a copy of your 9800 manual would be most usefull if you would be so kind. I've no idea what some of these switch''s do!

paul(dot)dimaline(at)btopenworld(dot)com

Paul.

The wooden bits where options in those days, I think. In my youth I had some japanese language brochures that stated this (no, I don't read japanese but the english word "option" where used).

I'm not envious. Not.

JohanR

advertisement

Back