advertisement

Pioneer reel to reel fault

ex brickie

pfm Member
Ive acquired an RT-909 reel to reel.

It is in nice cosmetic condition. I've checked the voltage setting and fuse and it powered up first time. All good.....

However, having set up a pre-recorded 7" reel none of the buttons work. I've read the instructions as best I can (they are a bit blurred) and took all the steps in the guide such as ensuring both reels are same size; that the timer button is switched off; it is on the correct speed and reel size..... But still None of the buttons light up and none are functioning.

Any tips on what to look for?

If anyone else has one of these I could also do with a close up photo of how to spool the tape around the right wheels etc. again the instruction manual isn't that clear

I'll ask a separate question/thread re leader tape

I'm not familiar with the details of that machine but some will prevent tape transport if threaded wrong. Some have "a bit sticking out" which is forced back by the tension of the tape, operating a micro-switch. Others have an optical sensor. They are mainly for switching off transport when the tape runs out (auto stop). On some a piece of aly foil "leader" could be stuck to the actual leader or tape to stop it when this was reached.

Or it could be faulty...

Hi Arkless

Mine apparently has a micro switch affected by the tensioner prongs... But I've fiddled with the prongs and nothing doing......

I need to read the manual again - but the pictures weren't easy to follow!

Good video here that shows how to thread it and the unusual lock-out of the tensioners etc:

PS I want one now!

Tony - fabulous! I'd wound it incorrectly which prevents the micro processors working. How incredible these machines were for their day! The buttons work and the reels move! Such a relief....

Now I'm getting no sound so something isn't right with the wiring and the back of the system is hard to get at. That's another issue to resolve but I'm delighted that the functions seem to work

@df_genius - many thanks for your kind offer (I'm in west Wales but appreciate your generosity)

Try toggling the monitor switch, you might have it set to source rather than tape.

Try toggling the monitor switch, you might have it set to source rather than tape.

Thanks Rob - tried those , and all other recording type buttons on the chain of components. I'm wondering whether I've put the cables incorrectly in the chain (I have a full Pioneer rig with dynamic processor and reverb amps as well as a standard integrated.

Thanks for the suggestion though as it is the type of slip up I would make!

I've done it myself, and my Tascam 34B has a cueing lever that moves the tape up to the heads, forgot to move that to the correct position more than once too...

Have you tried some headphones? That would rule out any dodgy wiring to the system.

PS I assume you are getting some tape level indication on the meters and the output level knobs are turned up?

Good idea re headphones Tony. The LEDs are lighting up on the meters so it is clearly picking up something from the tape reel .

Just tried 'phones and you can hear the music through them..... :D

Back to my dodgy wiring then.... The combination of weird Pioneer amplifiers does make the interconnect chain trickier....

Looks like all the apparent faults were my human error! :(. Which in some ways is good news I suppose. The reel to reel is built like a tank

Thanks for the help folks! I've also ordered some leader tape thanks to advice on another of my threads...

Have you visited Tapeheads.net? There's a guy on there called Pioneercollector, he has the most amazing stack of vintage Pioneer gear. Maybe join up there and see if he can give you a heads up? He's UK based and a very nice guy.

Hi. Haven't looked at Tapeheads but I have ordered my leader tape

I'll take a look in the next few days - thanks for the tip off

The Tapeheads front page and layout is similar to PFM. Looks like using the same username doesn't work though. That would be useful...

I think the software is similar to the old stuff that was used here, probably much older. I very much doubt that "ex brickie" is a previously used user name there...

It's a nice forum since they got rid of the Mud Pit (politics etc) sub forum, which attracted some proper lunatics.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ask for a photo of the rear. Even with a voltage selector it will say 110V but if the seller isn't electronically minded s/he may not realise that a different voltage can be selected (as is the case with mine)

advertisement

Back