advertisement

Pioneer PLX 1000 vs Technics 1210

Simon s

pfm Member
I have been looking at these decks more and more recently as a possible second deck (which potentially may be used for DJ sessions). They seem well built and some really rate them in comparison to recent Technics decks - like the 1210 Mk7. They have more torque and a heavier platter, which seem a step forward from the 1200 series ? There have been some issues which people report with movement in the arm bearings but this seems like they can be adjusted easily.

So my question here is if any of you have tried them against a 1200 (modded or not) or any of the recent variants -1200G/GR ?
How do they sound in comparison and is the build quality up to scratch, do they respond well to modding or are there any issues that have arisen which would make anyone steer clear of these decks ?

Finally, it looks like the build and layout mirrors the 1200 series is many ways so i am wondering if the arm mechanism can be removed easily as it is with the 1200 ?

Thanks all in advance

Simon

The PL-X1000 uses a similar motor design to the 'old' SL-1200s. Electronically it's not as well executed, in that speed variance is higher, rumble is higher etc. They do sound good, and whether you'd notice is debatable but objectively the Technics drive system is better.

The Technics arm is significantly better. The bearing is of a far tighter tolerance providing you get one that hasn't been abused. The pioneer et al have removable phono cables, and their bearings can be tightened, but they tend to have lacklustre anti-skate and overall are not as well constructed.

The arm can be removed but you'd have to make a custom arm board to mount anything else. It's not quite a Technics mount, though it is similar.

Neither comes close to the new GR or G, or even the MK7 in my opinion. All of which have substantial upgrades across the board, especially in the drive system and electronics. If you're after the best, I'd buy a new Technics. Second best would be a good condition 1200 MK2, as the later variants can fetch near GR money. Third choice would be a higher-end Reloop or the Audio-Technica AT-1240. The Pioneer would be last.

The PL-X1000 uses a similar motor design to the 'old' SL-1200s. Electronically it's not as well executed, in that speed variance is higher, rumble is higher etc. They do sound good, and whether you'd notice is debatable but objectively the Technics drive system is better.

The Technics arm is significantly better. The bearing is of a far tighter tolerance providing you get one that hasn't been abused. The pioneer et al have removable phono cables, and their bearings can be tightened, but they tend to have lacklustre anti-skate and overall are not as well constructed.

The arm can be removed but you'd have to make a custom arm board to mount anything else. It's not quite a Technics mount, though it is similar.

Neither comes close to the new GR or G, or even the MK7 in my opinion. All of which have substantial upgrades across the board, especially in the drive system and electronics. If you're after the best, I'd buy a new Technics. Second best would be a good condition 1200 MK2, as the later variants can fetch near GR money. Third choice would be a higher-end Reloop or the Audio-Technica AT-1240. The Pioneer would be last.

Thanks for the detailed response. It seems to be what a lot of people are saying that its not in the same league as the technics. Also very useful to know that the armboard is not exactly a Technics fit as i would be wanting to try a different arm on the deck.

Simon

advertisement

Back