advertisement

Pioneer PLC-590 Turntable meets Mico Seiki MA-505

337alant

Negatively Biased
Ive been running a Pioneer PLC-590 with and SME 3009mk2 for a couple of years now and have been happy with it, however there always room for improvement and I always thought the SME 3009 although looks the part was a bit limited at the frequency extreams
I recently purchased a Micro Seiki MA-505 from Ebay another classic Jap Tone arm and a quality construction
I hasd to Knock up a new arm board out of 6mm aluminium plate
IMG_1808 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
Great looking arm
20180607_220738 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
Had to fit some extra stainless steel washers superglued together and 3 pieces of copper wire to decouple them from the arm.
Love the arm heat adjustment and locking clamp, also has a nice adjustment on the tracking force anti skating and azimuth
20180607_220707 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
Fitted the denon 103R and its sounding superb, I am really pleased with it much better across the frequency range than the SME which was good in the mids but no so great at the bass and treble
The MA505 sounds transparent and solid as a rock, great treble detail and good bass, mids are as good as the SME 3009
Overall Im buzziing great arm and bargain price for sound quality
20180607_220656 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
20180607_220738 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
Alan

it is but then im biased! :D
good work alan!

IMG_2144.jpg

Cool. I owned a 590 back in the day. 1977/78 I'd guess. In truth it's very pretty, but not in the top class, but if the price was right... looks in fantastic condition.

The MA505 on the other hand is a thing of great joy, and, yes, with all but ultra high compliance cartridges it will indeed the wipe the floor with the SME. That'll hold its own up to mental money fitted to just about anything so long as its physical weight's not a problem.

My vinyl replay days are long gone, but a wee pang of jealousy there.

A couple of years ago I restored my former boss's (an ex-Pioneer employee) PLC-590/PA-5000.

18872070790_98680fe660_c.jpg

What did you make of it compared to the other decks in your/his possession?

Sadly I was a bit underwhelmed. But then I tried the Pioneer only with my old DL-301, which was fine in it days, but now probably less than optimal. So no firm conclusions.

After cleanup the 590 was in a beautiful condition, and the arm bearings were nicely serviced by J7.

hmm I wonder what a service on a bearing is?
I'd imagine checking they were performing to original spec regarding play and stiction, and adjusting/replacing them if not. What does a service usually consist of in your book?

I’d imagine that’s a given with a tonearm check over, I just thought it sounded strange as bearings are either ok or buggered,there isn’t anything you can service on them, but I’m splitting hairs.

Underwhelmed ?That's not my experience at all
At the time I bought the Pioneer PLC-590 I owned a Linn LP12, Michel Gyro with Orbe upgrades latest power supply, Garrard 401 with 12" Jelco 750L, Technichs 1200mk2, Rega PL3, Lenco L75
The LP12 and the 401 were the best turntables I had and I initially tried the PCL 590 with a Rega arm and it didnt shine I must admit but when i tried my SME-3009mk2 non improved it really snapped into focus, plus it had the rock solid speed stability and timing of the the 1200 and the 401 so I ended up selling all of my belt driven turntables and the PLC-590 has remained in my system ever since.
I have taken my turntable to a few bake offs and it has allways been up there with the best and I didn't hear anything better.
This Micro Seiki MA505 takes it up another notch IMO
Mods - I dont use the 19mm wood armboard sub base under the 6mm alloy plate, I use metal spacers and a rubber washer and IMO it sound better
I have also damped the underside of the Platter with Dynomat and filled the void spaces in the massive alloy chassis with strips of dynamat speaker damping pads, it sounds excellent IMO and my Garrard 401/Jelco750L and Techy 1200 mk2 /Micro Seiki MA-202 tone are are still in the loft out of service
Alan

Last edited:

advertisement

Back