advertisement

Pioneer PDR-555RW doesn't spin up

337alant

Negatively Biased
Im looking at a mates Pioneer PDR-555RW and when you insert the disc it spins momentarily and I could see the lased try to focus but then it just stops
I put a bit of slider grease on the mech shafts and it did a little more but still ultimately failed to spin up properly and play
Any advice on what to try greatly welcomed
Alan

The memory capacitor might need changing Alan, these are known to go bad on these units. I sold my 555RW for peanuts when it stopped reading discs and was gutted when the new owner informed me it took him 5 minutes to fix with this £5 part:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-EDLSG105V5R5C-1F-5-5V-Super-Capacitor-Ultra-Cap-Memory-Backup-Arduino-PIC/322321935045?hash=item4b0be26ac5:g:i-8AAOSw5wJa044X

I've searched through old emails and this is what he told me:
"EDLSG105V5R5C 1F 5.5V Super Capacitor Ultra Cap Memory Backup Arduino PIC , this is the perfect replacement part required, and it would be prudent to fit this ASAP as when the old capacitor leaks over time the fluid that leaks out attacks the PCB eating through the copper tracks and turn the machine into a write-off due to the damage."

Hope that helps. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm still waiting for the super capacitor but I decided to remove the circuit board today and check the Cap fitted
It was indeed leaking and dead, fortunately the damage to the board was not bad and I managed to clean up and re-tin the pads

Alan

I'm still waiting for the super capacitor but I decided to remove the circuit board today and check the Cap fitted
It was indeed leaking and dead, fortunately the damage to the board was not bad and I managed to clean up and re-tin the pads

Alan
That's good to hear, Alan. I have another PDR-555RW that's still working (or at least it was when I last tested it, - it's been in its box a few years). I haven't replaced the cap yet as my dad isn't confident he'll be able to do it (he's ok soldering wires to speaker lugs but hasn't attempted PCB work). Have you checked to see if the player functions without the cap? If it does then I might just get my dad to snip it out and not bother replacing it.

Well the supercap arrived today so I installed it and what do you know it's now working perfectly again
Great recommendation Richard thanks very much:cool:
Now back with his happy owner
Richard if you want yours doing just buy the cap send it to me and Ill do it and send it back
Alan

Well the supercap arrived today so I installed it and what do you know it's now working perfectly again
Great recommendation Richard thanks very much:cool:
Now back with his happy owner
Richard if you want yours doing just buy the cap send it to me and Ill do it and send it back
Alan
Glad to hear it worked, Alan!

Thank you for the offer to sort mine. Seems a bit of a palaver sending it there and back just to get one cap changed but I'll bear it in mind as I might not have any alternative!

Yeah I guess you are right, must be some one local to you who can do it?
Just be careful with the ribbon cable connections as the one from the laser has quite a delicate socket
Alan

advertisement

Back