advertisement

Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here Vinyl

James Evans

Bedroom Bodger
I don't have it, and feel the need for it. Is the 2016 remaster any good? Are there any other versions available currently?

Dunno about WYWH however purchased a fair few Floyd 2016 remasters and they are all pretty good, so WYWH should be pretty good.:)
Thanks. I'd read a few comments about the 2016 version sounding dull and muddy compared to the original, hence the question (not that I would have anything to compare against!)

l compared a couple of 2016 remasters to some older copies ( not originals l may add) l own and the remasters were definitely better sounding.... getting originals could be spendy.:)

An original UK / German copy will sound better but it’s a faff finding a clean copy. For the money the remaster will be a sensible place to start and if you have nothing to compare it to you will be more than happy.
Cracking album, enjoy!
Gary

The problem is the hard card inner has killed most original copies that weren’t dropped in a Nagaoka or whatever on purchase and good examples are now getting very expensive.

I’ve no idea what the current pressings are like, but you really can’t go wrong with original/early UK pressings for all of Floyd IMO. They are the benchmark.

PS I’ve actually got the Nimbus Supercut of this, it might be my most valuable record!

SACD version from analogue productions is stunning pity EMI cancelled all the floyd planned 2x45 AAA vinyl versions

Just finished listening to it. Unbelievable. Every fan of multichannel audio should have this SACD. The best two tracks in my honest opinion, in terms of how they were mixed, not in song preference, are Welcome To The Machine and Have a Cigar. All the crazy effects in Machine are placed so well and balanced, tons of action in the surrounds but do not take away from the fronts AT all.
The mix honestly feels so natural, unforced, as if it was originally recorded with the purpose of being listened to in multichannel. The front soundstage sounds so full with unbelievable separation.
Now to listen to the original quad! I've never heard it but I really cannot imagine it is better.
The whole thing is unreal. I can't recommend it enough. Any fan of multichannel audio needs to be buy this.

It was a huge seller at first release, so there must be considerable variation depending on stamper generation and wear

It was a huge seller at first release, so there must be considerable variation depending on stamper generation and wear

1970s UK Pink Floyd pressings are very good and very consistent IME. I sold a ‘solid blue’ DSOTM (A2/B2) about a year and a half ago as a commission sale and compared it at length to my bog standard late-70s copy (A10/B9), and it wasn’t *that much* better. I’ve heard a lot of very, very big differences between cuts in my time and that wasn’t one of them. With Floyd I’d personally aim to get the original label and cover design (e.g. yellow green Harvest, rounded corners on the card inners, no barcode etc) but I’d not spend LOLprice for a 1st press unless I wanted it as an investment. I’d go for condition over matrix in most cases, e.g. Echoes or Shine On You Crazy Diamond are no fun with a load of crackle and pop.

Oooooh, nimbus, that'll be spendy.

I paid a tenner for it decades ago, long before the price went mental. Missing the postcard, but otherwise NM. It is a great sounding copy. I’ve been trying to find the correct-issue postcard for about 20 years now! I look in every battered copy of WYWH I see!

It's a great album but one I've avoided (on vinyl) for a while (except for in the PF box set I had) since I would worry too much about pops or vinyl noise spoiling the majestic build-up on SOYCD (the first parts). I've got this in various digital guises, and wondered what (if anything) a 2016 remaster might bring on vinyl, beyond bigger artwork :)

Mine's just A5 B13, complete with postcard, still has the black plastic wrap on the outside ;) Sounds really great.

A1 B3 is the first pressing I believe. Mine only has the diving man postcard with the rough edges...

Both my postcards are the same, an extra one by mistake. I didn’t keep the black outer though, I actually remember taking it off. I must have been quite excited!

advertisement

Back