advertisement

Pink Floyd Original DSOTM on eBay

per-Sony-fied

Me in another jacket
Been watching this one for a while. Already past anything remotely close to what I'd pay but very interested to see what some people will actually pay for such rare LP's - I'd rather settle on a good press by MOFI or similar that could be as good or very similar.

Only a few days in & currently £586

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon * SOLID BLUE TRIANGLE * A2/B2 * UK 1st PRESS *

Possibly should have posted this in the eBay section but maybe would go a miss there if someone is interested.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There are another couple up for grabs that at least have pictures of the posters/stickers, plus seem to have better covers:

That said my spider-sense/paranoia is triggering and I think I might just see some black marker here and there! If I was interested in a record of this price I’d really want to inspect it in person and spend a lot of time doing so.

PS I have had an incomplete (no posters/stickers) VG+/borderline-EX copy pass through a few years ago:

53258176066_539e6d3e41_b.jpg

It was interesting as it gave me the opportunity to compare it to my own bog-standard ‘70s reissue. It is superb, it sounded exactly like my mental image of DSOTM, though I’d not say it was vastly ahead of any 1970s UK copy. They all sound like exactly the same cut-master and are all pressed well. They sound very similar to the original Japanese (pre-emphasis) ‘black triangle’ CD and the first J for UK black-face. I’m certain they are all taken from the same vinyl cutting master. All bets are off on later issues, foreign issues etc, e.g. the US 1st press, the MoFi, the 30th Anniversary etc sound like crap in comparison to my ears (sorry Mike at The In Groove, you are way off with this one, even if you did pick the ‘blue triangle‘ 1st!).

As such my advice for anyone wanting a nice copy is just to hunt the best condition and maybe earliest UK ‘outline triangle’ you can. My own copy is a bog-standard 1977 5th A10/B9 pressing, and it has its posters and stickers. I’d happily swap it out for an earlier copy in as good or better condition, but I’d not pay money to do so (i.e. I’d just do my usual juggling if one came in a collection). It’s fine. It sounds better than anything else I’ve heard aside from the solid blue.

PS FWIW Michael 45 of ‘the best Youtube glasses’ fame reckons the German 1st press is better than the UK blue triangle. I tend to agree with him on a lot of things, but whether I would here I don’t know (I’ve never heard one). Both he and In Groove Mike are coming at it as very much younger people who came to it decades after release may not have the ‘fixed mental image’ of those of us who grew up with it. I do think this stuff is significant and is likely why I consider a lot of remixes and re-imaginings of classic albums as unlistenable shite. They should just recreate the 1st press IMO. Let it be what it is, what it always has been.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ll be satisfied with my late 70’s copy. I remember playing a friend’s fresh copy in 1975 I think on my dad’s Dual. A revelation. I was hooked.
Thanks Martine!

There are another couple up for grabs that at least have pictures of the posters/stickers, plus seem to have better covers:

Man, they are expensive, I guess it goes to show people WILL pay big money for these records although that Buy now auction I think the owner is being very greedy & far to hopeful.

Holy smokes, £586 already, and "The fingernail mark mentioned above causes ~10 clicks on the introduction to "Breathe" on side 1." ...

Holy smokes, £586 already, and "The fingernail mark mentioned above causes ~10 clicks on the introduction to "Breathe" on side 1." ...

Once you get to definitions like that and the condition of the cover it is below the grade I’d buy as an investment. FWIW I suspect one I’d personally grade as a strong EX or NM would make £2-4k. It is very had to find a clean one of these. What you want is one bought out of curiosity by a classical buyer and just filed unloved in a collection after two plays with a V15/III. This certainly happened thanks to its status as a magazine-reviewed ‘hi-fi record’, but inevitably long after the blue-triangles had sold out (there will be a copy of Tubular Bells in the same collection!).

there will be a copy of Tubular Bells in the same collection!
And some 'polite' jazz.

I wonder about the long term investment potential of this stuff though. The people who were teenagers in 1973 will be boomers in their sixties now - the perfect deep-pocketed demographic for pushing up the prices of expensive trophy records from their youth. Will people without the same emotional attachment be willing to pay £££s in 20 years time or will it be Nirvana and MBV records going through the roof?

edit: I see Gav is wondering the same thing!

Elvis etc prices have plunged. I wonder what happens when this nostalgia wave reaches the switch to CD as main medium

Watch the value fall away in 10 years time too. File with Buddy Holly, Elvis, Roy Orbison etc..

I don’t think so. Classic rock seems to have found a younger market the way jazz has. Rock ‘n’ roll never did. Many of the YouTube crowd e.g. Mike at In Groove and Michael 45 are way too young to have been there for Floyd, Krautrock etc, they weren’t even born, yet both are hoovering up amazing records.

Will people without the same emotional attachment be willing to pay £££s in 20 years time or will it be Nirvana and MBV records going through the roof?

Nirvana and MBV are there already. Many very high-price records in both those catalogues. A genuinely clean copy of Loveless is an easy £200+ these days. This period of the ‘90s was the time of thin vinyl and scratchy card inners, so finding good copies of even common stuff is a nightmare. Nirvana did a few limited pressings too, e.g. an original issue white vinyl Bleach is £700+ (plenty of pirates of that one!).

PS A NM Loveless flew out of the pfm shop with some velocity a few years ago, I think at £200, I can’t remember. I really wanted to keep it as I only have the CD myself, but it was part of a commission sale collection so made sense to move on. Sounded great!

Certainly it means nothing to me as someone who went to university in the mid-80s rather than the mid-70s but there were still a minority of hippies around then (e.g. Neil on the Young Ones.)

Certainly in means nothing to me as someone who went to university in the mid-80s rather than the mid-70s.

I was obsessed with Floyd, Hawkwind, and a load of prog stuff as a kid at school. DSOTM is a record I had around 13-14 or so, before punk. I’d even found Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk before everything went punk/new-wave, though I overlapped for quite a while before cashing in my prog stuff to buy the avalanche of new-wave stuff happening in 1980-81. I never had a blue-triangle DSOTM despite being a second-hand buyer. It was rare even then. I’ve never seen an estimate for how many were pressed prior to the label change, I suspect not many. My guess is it was viewed as a design or printing error as the wording is not very legible. You can find the A2/B2 matrix on the later label design, and that is the copy I’d like to own myself!

Watch the value fall away in 10 years time too. File with Buddy Holly, Elvis, Roy Orbison etc..
Yep, as someone that is probably at least 10 years younger than the average Floyd obsessive, I hope to pick some of this stuff up a bit more cheaply and enjoy them in my declining years.

edit: Turns out my humble VG+ A3/B2 without stickers or poster would be surprisingly expensive to replace. Bought for £3.50 in Strutton Ground Oxfam abut 20 years ago, IIRC.

I think you have as much chance as finding a cheap 1st press of Kind Of Blue or A Love Supreme! It is a timeless classic now.

PS The one I’m not so sure about is The Beatles. Anything pre-Revolver sounds very old-fashioned to me now. They were not my generation, but it doesn’t sound timeless the way jazz, DSOTM etc do. It sounds old like Elvis. The key thing with music is how it influences what came later, which is why 50 year old jazz, Krautrock, classic rock, funk, soul, new wave etc still sounds so fresh. It was absorbed into current music.

I don’t think so. Classic rock seems to have found a younger market the way jazz has. Rock ‘n’ roll never did. Many of the YouTube crowd e.g. Mike at In Groove and Michael 45 are way too young to have been there for Floyd, Krautrock etc, they weren’t even born, yet both are hoovering up amazing records.
I'd take a guess that all depends on the current vinyl revival & where it will be in 10 or 15 years time. It may well shrink to the infinitesimally small. Youngsters generally have a short interest span on these things. Also it's hard to imagine but who knows what is coming around the corner after current high quality digital streaming.

I was obsessed with Floyd, Hawkwind, and a load of prog stuff as a kid at school. DSOTM is a record I had around 13-14 or so, before punk. I’d even found Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk before everything went punk/new-wave, though I overlapped for quite a while before cashing in my prog stuff to buy the avalanche of new-wave stuff happening in 1980-81. I never had a blue-triangle DSOTM despite being a second-hand buyer. It was rare even then. I’ve never seen an estimate for how many were pressed prior to the label change, I suspect not many. My guess is it was viewed as a design or printing error as the wording is not very legible. You can find the A2/B2 matrix on the later label design, and that is the copy I’d like to own myself!
That's exactly the same start as my musical journey. Not the new wave stuff mind you lol

advertisement

Back