advertisement

PIL’s Metal box reissued

dss said:
£40 is a bit steep i'd say - do the orginals come up on E-Bay

I've been after an original for a while, was outbid on Ebay the other day for the neck end of £30 for a nice looking (slightly rusty) original with inserts.. looks like I may as well get a re-issue.

Tony,
I've got an original too. It has four paper inserts, the red A5 tracklisting and the sticker on the back, my sticker is identical to Fox's.
Fodderstompf said:
3 x 12" in embossed PiL logo metal tin, separated by plain white paper inserts, plus A5 track list/info insert. Although only 60,000 (50,000 UK, & 10,000 import) were pressed 'Metal Box' was never intended to be limited edition. Virgin didn't want to press any more due to costs; and PiL still had to give up the majority of their advance to get the original pressing in a metal box.

Originally, the plan was also to include a lyric sheet. However, costs wouldn't run that high so it was decided to run a full page ad in the music press the following week featuring the lyrics. Another scrapped idea was to seal the metal box with with PiL logo tape. They got as far as making the tape, but again, due to costs it was never used.

The release of the album was delayed due to accidental damage of the records/packaging by the packing plant. Unused packaging ideas for the album included a rough sandpaper cover designed to **** up all your other record sleeves!
The 'lyric sheet' mentioned is worth adding to an 'original', mine is from the NME (1st Dec. 79 - Page 9!). It has PUBLIC IMAGE LTD. and THE METAL BOX. printed at top and bottom with the nine lyrics tightly handwritten in block capitals between, without the song titles. The back of the page has a cracking 'Our Price' advert too!

2088_1.jpg

I saw one of the new reissues on the weekend - it was astonishingly shiny! It doesn't have the Metal 1 sticker, but it had a tiny bit of PiL tape to 'seal' it which wasn't the same as shown on the Fodderstompf site.

Does anyone know if the reissue uses heavy/special vinyl?

I'll have a look at mine tonight, but I suspect that I haven't got any stickers on the back.
I'm missing a track listing too. Would be nice to get hold of one....

Martin M said:
It ogues, while Classic Records are re-releasing Brian Eno on vinyl...(oh yes, and the Beatles too).

Really ? got any proof? or just reading inbetween the lines of the EMI press release?

Tim Groves said:
Really ? got any proof? or just reading inbetween the lines of the EMI press release?

Hi Tim,

The Beatles were specifically mentioned in Classic Records' press release at this year's CES show. Hope this helps!

My 4 Men With beards Metal Box arrived this morning, got it from this ebay shop. Quick delivery (ordered Monday) and so far plays really well.

Obviously it's not as terrifically exciting as having an original, although mine did come with a very wee dent which I am treating as the start of the ageing process, rather than a defect. Wow and is it ever shiny. A nice reissue.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Although I don't have a track sheet so a hi rez scan I could laserprint would be nice.

I’ve done what I can with a digital camera and stuck the result up here as a zipped .jpg. Should hopefully look ok printed. The original is 21 x 15cm.

Tony.

Nice job Tony,
I'd started to try the same thing, your image is far better than my camera allowed me!

Marmite,
My original had a dent from day one - I kind of like it, honest. As for the 'shiny' stuff it will be interesting to see if the new boxes rot like the old ones did. (It is fingerprint juices that attack the plating on the old boxes.)
During this thread I looked at the finish of the inside of the bottom of my old box, this is still in excellent condition never having been handled, but it is nowhere as shiny as those new ones!

I'd be happy to scan it for you, but I don't have a website to load it up to. Send me a PM with an e-mail address and I will e-mail it to you. Might turn out better than the photo.

Can someone post the NME lyrics in a form I can download?

BTW my labelling is just METAL 1.

advertisement

Back