advertisement

Pictures At An Exhibition

I have a recording of a radio programme where the different versions are discussed...its on a cassette somewhere...

Here is a list of performers, their labels and years. Interpretations are rather subjective. Have fun.

Horowitz (RCA, 1951)

Richter (Philips, 1958)

Richter (Melodiya, 1958)

Janis (Mercury, 1961)

Magaloff (Carrere, 1978)

Ashkenazy (Decca, 1982)

Brendel (Philips, 1985)

Pletnev (Virgin, 1989)

Afanassiev (Denon, 1991)

Ugorsky (DG, 1992)

Pogorelich (DG, 1997)

Demidenko (Hyperion, 1997)

Kissin (RCA, 2001)

Kempf (BIS, 2006)

Chen (Pentatone, 2009)

Ott (DG, 2012)

I have the Ashkenazy and Kissin of that bunch: for me Askenazy plays the music, while Kissin plays the piano, if you see what I mean. The Ashkenazy version on CD comes with his own orchestration, which also makes a change from the more usual Ravel.

An addition to the list is Steven Osborne's 2013 disc, which is another good one, and comes with interesting couplings in Prokofiev's Sarcasms and Visions Fugitive.

And for the orchestral version which has the best quality recording? I have the Living stereo SACD

And for the orchestral version which has the best quality recording? I have the Living stereo SACD
I haven't heard it but the Solti (a fairly 'technicolor' conductor) recording on Decca must be quite something. Probably a good choice for demoeing stuff. Then, it is open to debate whether a 'technicolor' conductor is really suited to Russian music - which is only half Russian because the orchestration is by Ravel.

I haven't heard it but the Solti (a fairly 'technicolor' conductor) recording on Decca must be quite something. Probably a good choice for demoeing stuff. Then, it is open to debate whether a 'technicolor' conductor is really suited to Russian music - which is only half Russian because the orchestration is by Ravel.

I love it - use it for auditioning as well, many a known brand has failed in separation and dynamics there. However want to check if there is anything better.

advertisement

Back