advertisement

Picture Quiz #16

Please read and don't just pile in...

The usual format, 10 pictures as clues to 10 (mostly) very well-known songs with one common theme. As always the link is easy i.e., if you think the
link is 'flags', then the theme or the word 'flag' (or a synonym) appears within the song, or indeed within the title of the song.

However, and this is a slight variation because the last one was a bit soft ;), the picture clues are to prominent lines from the songs and not necessarily to the song titles or to the link word/theme. Again there are gateway clues that when broken will give the theme away simplifying the rest of the process - if all goes to plan that is. I'm aware that the internet search engines are a lot more sophisticated than the were even 2 years ago, hence the extra step of separation. I really hope that this doesn't make it too hard. Please note that clues won't always be unique!

I'm looking for the song title, the original artist/writer and the line in the song which gives the connection, of course, which you'll need to break the quiz anyway. I won't give anything away on pure guesses, you need to 'show your working'...

Early viewing for those who want to play and we'll go live once I get a reply or two. I'm signing off today at 7 ish and overnight - if you need that long - back in the morning if necessary :)

Placeholder for answers. Left to right, top to bottom...

Title /Artist /Line in song
1. Madness - Cardiac Arrest (Papers in the morning, Bowler hat on head)
2. Squeeze - Cool For Cats (And he wakes to find the fire's dead and arrows in his hats)
3. Space Oddity – David Bowie (Take your protein pills and put your helmet on)
4. Chas & Dave - Gertcha (Now the old man was a Desert Rat, Khaki shorts and a khaki hat)
5. Brian and Michael - Matchstalk Men and Matchstalk Cats and Dogs (To come on down and wear the old flat cap)
6. The Fez – Steely Dan
7. The Beatles - A Day in the Life (Found my coat and grabbed my hat)
8. Margo Price - Cocaine Cowboys (They’re all hat, they don’t rope no cattle)
9. Papa was a Rollin Stone – The Undisputed Truth (Wherever he laid his hat was his home)
10. Abba – Put on Your White Sombrero

Last edited:

Not sure about that, or the songs below, or a few more, but…

1. Madness - Cardiac Arrest (Papers in the morning, Bowler hat on head)
4. Chas & Dave - Gertcha (Now the old man was a Desert Rat, Khaki shorts and a khaki hat)
7. Squeeze - Gone to the Dogs (In old covert coats and trilby hats)

2. Squeeze - Cool For Cats (And Davy Crockett rides around and says it’s…)
incorrect song line

"...if you think the link is 'flags', then the theme or the word 'flag' (or a synonym) appears within the song, or indeed within the title of the song."

advertisement

Back