advertisement

Picks of 2012/additions to wish list

Dave J

Übermember
Yes, I know it's a little early, but my kids have asked me for my wish list for my birthday and Christmas so, as I've already bought most of what needed to be bought, I'm wondering what I may have missed.

Over to you guys....

btw I'll recommend:

Alex Machecek, FAT
Donald Fagen, Sunken Condos
Morglbl, Brutal Romance
Dean Brown, Unfinished Business
Punch Brothers, Who's Feeling Young Now
John Fulbright, from the ground up

...as a few of the stand-outs for me

Cheers
Dave

My top albums:

Seth Lakeman & the BBC concert orchestra - intelligent rearrangement of some of his songs
Bellowhead - Broadside, perhaps a bit more polished production than previous albums but still the leaders in big bang folk music. OK, it's a small genre.
Django Django for some good fun indy/electronic pop
Richard Hawley - Standing At The Sky's Edge for a moody sprawling psychedelic masterpiece that gets better with every listen

Fair do's it's been a good one so far:

Field Music - Plumb (can't help but call it Selling England by the Pound part II)
Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
Euros Childs - Summer Special
Beth Jeans Houghton - Yours Truly Cellophane Nose
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave
Maps & Atlases - Beware and be Grateful
Yeti Lane - The Echo Show
Cian Ciaran - Outside in (this is quite gorgeous and may rise to the top come the end of the year)
Baltic Fleet - Towers
Black Keys - El Camino
Django Django - Django Django (although I have to admit to having gone off them a bit having seen them live where they were a bit.. well, like listening to the CD).
Richard Hawley - Standing at the Sky's Edge

My copy of Neil Young "Psychedelic Pill" won't arrive until tomorrow but I imagine it'll be on many "Best Of 2012" lists.

Off the top of my head

Efterklang - Piramida
Dr John - Locked Down
Burnt Friedman - Bokoboko
Four Tet - Pink
Marconi Union - Different Colours/Weightless
Dexys - One Day I'll Soar

This thread could get expensive, it's reminding me of a few I've not got around to buying yet

Field Music - Plumb
Richard Hawley - Standing At The Sky's Edge
Django Django - Django Django
Adrian Crowley - I See Three Birds Flying

In no particular order

Those who mentioned, Field Music, alt-J and Django Django, I will treat your other picks as homework since those three are up my street!

Thanks chaps.

I've been playing the David Byrne and St. Vincent album, Love This Giant, a lot.
Great quirky pop songs with really nice brass arrangements.

advertisement

Back