advertisement

Pickering XV-15/0757S

per flemming

By coincidence I got my hands on this old cartridge

Needle certainly need replacement as the original owner had it 15-20+ years

Any experience in here ? replacement needles to match are many it seems (Stanton), priced below $100, some at only $20-25.

Would a Planar 3 be a match or should I look elsewhere on the budget ?

I have a newer XV15 with the D 625 stylus. I have two BNIB styli here complete with brushes

It's a nice sounding cartridge that to my ears and with my gear leans toward classical. In your system it may sound different to you and depending what you compare it with.

Seemingly its' really down to the stylus type with these cartridges..there are a few.

I've got one of the eBay XV-15 / 625E carts on my TD-124, it's a little on the warm, smooth and inoffensive side of neutral, but it's a rather decent MM cart nonetheless. It's pretty high compliance and tracks happily at 1.25g in my pre-Improved 3009, which is 12g effective mass IIRC, so it should be happy in most modern arms too.

Tony.

Thanks
I have noticed some Stanton eqv. can be used.
Whats the difference between 625E and 757S needles ?
Would it benefit getting higher resolution needles than above in a budget setup, maybe with separate phonostage ?

Thanks
I have noticed some Stanton eqv. can be used.
Whats the difference between 625E and 757S needles ?
Would it benefit getting higher resolution needles than above in a budget setup, maybe with separate phonostage ?

The E stands for elliptical. The S for Stereohedron which has a design of Stanton/Pickering's own, I believe. I think it was specified for quad recordings but seems to be liked by many.

There is a guy on Lenco Heaven who knows all to know about the differing styli and history of this group of companys. If ever a man knew his subject.....talk about in depth ? :D

He is like our Cooky ( Frank) on Tannoys :cool:

There is a guy on Lenco Heaven who knows all to know about the differing styli and history of this group of companys. If ever a man knew his subject.....talk about in depth ? :D

He is like our Cooky ( Frank) on Tannoys :cool:

Thanks
I'll take a look into heaven there

advertisement

Back