advertisement

Picked up a Thorens TD160BCII

Robert

Tapehead
Couldn't resist given the great condition, all the packing, manuals and box. My first Thorens IIRC.

This was a one owner unit having spent most of its life carrying a SME 3009II and sitting in a cabinet.

Since servicing my Dual 701 direct drive a few years ago that has been my daily deck, so the poor old Mission 774 has been sitting up on the shelf in need of a home.
Always liked old red button LP12s with the 774 but the last couple of vintage Sondeks to have passed my way haven't been in great shape - lots of mongrels out there which makes buying at today's high prices pretty risky. So, a TD160 it is.

I've no idea what it sounds like yet as just finished servicing it and polishing the platter, but it sure looks sweet with that mahogany veneer plinth, and a 774 looks right at home on a classic bouncer.

20191101_201914 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

20191101_201852 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

20191101_202035 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

20191101_201955 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

Hope it sounds as good as it looks

Sexy bit of kit that, quite modern looking

How old is it?

Cheers Tony.

Yes, mercifully free of dings and scratches. The box indicates it belonged to a Mr A Wild of Somerset - I love that sort of info, makes me wonder what Mr Wild would have played and if he's still around.

it has the original springs and I was surprised to see the condition of the rubber spring grommets and washers, all perfectly good and pliable with no splits. Gave the spring assemblies a good wash in warm water with a little detergent and the whole thing re-assembled easily with a nice vertical bounce and no shimmering.
Motor is dead quiet, cleaned out the main bearing and added some gearbox oil - even the original belt works fine though I've put a replacement Thakkar on it which seems fine.

Unless it sounds off, which I highly doubt, I think I'm going to enjoy this deck.

That's a good year for the choice of first songs you play on it

Joy Division Unknown Pleasures, Slits Cut, Gang Of Four Entertainment, Donna Summer Bad Girls, Magazine Secondhand Daylight, B52’s debut, Gary Numan Pleasure Principle, Human League Reproduction, Chic Risque etc, loads of dub reggae too, so plenty of choice!

Speaking from experience, the 774/160 is a great combo. Mine is now sat on an LP12 but I'd have no qualms about living with it back on a 160.

Looks a nice one that.

The protractor underneath the mat is very accurate.
By the way Robert did you ever see my PM?

Wow!!... that beauty looks fresh off of the production line. Excellent choice of tonearm too, always had a soft spot for the mission.. enjoy!!

Really looks great! Makes me miss my old turntable. If you want to, you can make some of the 160 Super mods yourself. Just take care not to dampen the turntable to death.

Are you going to experiment with mats? My TD125 sounded noticeably livelier without the thick rubbery Thorens one.

You can try, I used all sorts of mats (felt - yuck -cork, leather, acrylic) and I have now the original carbon-charged one back in place.

Are you going to experiment with mats? My TD125 sounded noticeably livelier without the thick rubbery Thorens one.

I've collected plenty over the years, various different felt, suede, hard rubber, soft rubber, I think there is an achromat here somewhere. I'll experiment though I usually end up returning to felt.

Really looks great! Makes me miss my old turntable. If you want to, you can make some of the 160 Super mods yourself. Just take care not to dampen the turntable to death.

Yes indeed i tend to avoid heavy damping. I wont touch the sub-chassis though the veneered particle board plinth might respond well.

I bought some replacement 3D printed cover hinges which arrived today from the US.
$15 for the hinges and £16 customs into the EU!
Bloody EU gangsters.

31$ for new cover hinges for a 40 year-old turntable. Not too bad, I would say. I spent a lot more getting upgrades for my Thorens TD 147 Jubilee (Schopper arm tube, counter weights etc).

1979, so 40 years old. This one has survived well.
The 774 dates from 1978 - 1982 IIRC so the right vintage for the deck.

I put one together, in 1979, with a Mission 774 arm.
I well recall burning the midnight oil to get it finished.
The combination worked well with an Entre MC cartridge.
Some years later the Mission & Entre went onto an LP12, which came new.
( I knew the audio shop Prop. )
Yes, it sounded a little better on the ‘12, but made me realise how good the Thorens was.

That looks great!
Agree with others that mention not to over-dampen the plinth. I've been down that road on a TD160 (mk1) and ended up removing quite a bit of it to better sonic benefit. I now think the factory TD160 Super mods to be a good guide to go by.

As a final touch motor controller electronics could enhance it to a higher level. A number of after-market units to check out. Or not.

Again, looks great. A fine Thorens.
-Steve

advertisement

Back