advertisement

Photo theme #31: Portrait 18-31/1

I understood the brief, I just ignored it :) (Actually, I had plans to do something more formal, but circumstances made that impossible).

A lot of people just don't like being photographed! As soon as you ask, they hide, hence no entry from me. Anyway, I really prefered the informal ones - esp SSB's and Concete's.

But that's the challenge - overcoming the initial reluctance,setting up a time and place and then seeing what you can come up with together. Liam in my shot doesn't like being photographed but was willing to give it a go. Two large bottles of Leffe might have helped.

But that's the challenge - overcoming the initial reluctance,setting up a time and place and then seeing what you can come up with together. Liam in my shot doesn't like being photographed but was willing to give it a go. Two large bottles of Leffe might have helped.

Cost me a bottle of claret and a large JD & Coke ;-)

My attempt at a considered portrait... with gratitude to a coworker who was considerate in letting me take a picture of her for this theme.

2cz1sg8.jpg

Joe

Cheers, guy.

It's been a while since I've photographed someone older than four. :)

Joe

Cliff,

Thanks. It was taken with my $50 lens, a 55mm f/1.2, which makes for a nice medium tele on the S5.

I bought it when in Kentucky, as at the time I wanted to experiment with large-aperture and low-light photography on a budget, but I was rather disappointed afterward when I googled it to discover the 55mm is considered a dog by Nikon gurus. Apparently, it's soft and lacks contrast.

I have since decided that online reviews are mostly worthless, as the lens is plenty sharp and its contrast is fine as long as you use a hood.

Joe

This portrait is entitled:

"Aww come on Steph, I need a portrait for the Fishies, just sit still for a minute"
"No Dad, I'm knackered and I haven't got any make up on,.... sod off!
"You haven't paid me back for those cigs you asked me to get for you Steph, and you shouldn't be smoking anyway..."
"OK"

3239227303_35bf2c388d.jpg

1/40th f/1.8 ISO 1600

Mull

Very nice , Alex.

Did you have some chap in a suit get all...fussy when you try taking pics of people in the Tate..? I did when I took this (non-eligible) portrait..:
jess_tate.jpg

(same sitter not available, else I'd have an entry in this week..)

PS: Cliff - that's terrific.

advertisement

Back