advertisement

Photo Theme 260 - Large! - Closing date midnight 1st September

Pete MB&D

Pete Maddex, the one and only!
The theme is LARGE! surprised we haven't had it yet.

1) ONE photograph to have been taken between this post and the end date (GMT/UTC midnight)
2) Max dimensions 800 x 800px, to be displayed in line please, rather than linked.

Themes so far have been:

Cold; Unruly/disobedient; 4 Legged; My favourite Beauty Spot; Simple; Weather; Decay; Old & New; Rhythm; Motion; Portrait; Inside; Work, Rest or Play; Spring; Three; Light; Up; Charm; Feminine; Bokeh; Naked; Upside Down; Natural World; Square; Long Exposure; Sliding; Dream; Street; Autumnal; Night; Fish out of Water; Candid; Winterval; Hope; Portrait; Simplicity; Lines; Coast; Power; Bleak; Close up; Rock; Mechanical; Reflection; Two of; Abstract; Green; Humour; Curves; Fruit; Mother nature; Smooth; Neon; "on forever's very now we stand"; At the water's edge; "Out with the old, in with the new"; Warm; Stranger; Modern Life Is Rubbish; Still Life; Sparkling; Distant; Intertwine; Flow; Paths; Freedom; Numbers; Urban; Faces Everywhere; Beautiful Evidence; Angles; Static; Shadows; Darlin' Companion; Chill; Single Colour; Atmosphere; Isolation; Implementation; Texture; Hidden; Silhouettes; Leisure; Sphere of Influence; Yes; Set; White noise; Another Fine Mess; Industrial; Interstitial; From Above; Age; Tension; Top to Bottom; Evening; Comfort; Wind; Yellow; On your doorstep; Complex; Vanishing Point; Indulgence; After Dark; Gesture; Parking; Incongruous; Spring Has Sprung; Infrastructure; Commerce; On Two Wheels; Lush; Feet; Athletic; Water; Go; Lunch; Escapism; Pause; Uncovered; Beer; Window; Contrast; Time; Voluptuous; Numerous; Patience; Wood; Objets Trouvés; Signs; Highly Strung; Park life; Transport; Symmetry; Enterprise; Interaction; Walls; Folded; Distorted; The Look of Love; The last days of Summer; Looking Out; Rustic; Polly Wants A Cracker; Oops; Wet Wet Wet; Building; Relaxing; Line; Food; Moving Still; Triangle; Noise; Empty; Tranquillity; Discontinuous; Translucent; The eyes have it, Disproportionate, Doors, Revolution; Recreation; Impression(ist); At the Market; Eye; Your neighbourhood; Straight out of camera! Round; Portal; Transport; Shopping Madness; High or Low; Hands; Back to Basics; The Golden Hour; Character; Bath; Vertical; Anticipation; Bloom; Bliss; Small; Grand Day Out; Red; Highlight; Modern World; Speed; Family; Holidays; Remote; Orange; Grain; Hardware; Construction; Reflect; Grey; Desolate; Morning; For the Record; Out & About; Massive; Thirds; Food of Love; The Great Outdoors; Sharp; Rubbish; The Facility; Independence; Shapes Everywhere; Constant Variable; Labour; Before & After; Glass; Great Balls of Fire; Anything Goes; Song Titles; Up Close; Black & White; Look Up or Look Down; Sporting Action; Kaleidoscope of Colours; Less Is More; Sunlight; Horsepower; Feet in the Picture; Sand, Sea or Sky; Frame It; Steel; Low light; Wings; 4 Legged; Lawlessness / Disobedience; Crowded; Retail; Cold; Arches; Space; Movement; Anything Goes (twice in a row); Outside; Emergency Services; Work; Scorch; Tiny; Album cover; Non-linear; Fill the frame; Rust; Festive sprit; New beginning; Open (anything goes);Texture / Dominant Colour; Close to home; Favourite thing; Open; Portrait: Green in black and white;

Three weeks should be better as people are off on holidays etc and need a bit more time.

Closing date 25th August.

Over to you chaps.

Pete

Ooops

Should be the 25th, I can't edit the title.

Pete

Oooooopppsss turns out you can I found a button!

Little and Large?

48538507101_8da94e975a_c.jpg

Lefty

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not sure that excellent image is going to encourage more entries - already a clear winner! I was going to enter, and had an idea, but no time to actually take the picture before the deadline...

Hmm, I'm not sure that excellent image is going to encourage more entries - already a clear winner! I was going to enter, and had an idea, but no time to actually take the picture before the deadline...
Do you need an extension? Its always tricky this time of year, another week?

Pete

Don't extend just for me as we're off to Ireland on Friday to take lots of images - but, looking at the weather forecast, if the next theme is 'rain' I'm in luck!

nice photo posted, impossible to compete with. Unfortunately a complete disincentive to me, to post, which I was going to do.

nice photo posted, impossible to compete with. Unfortunately a complete disincentive to me, to post, which I was going to do.

I'm sorry but I find this thought process exceedingly negative. For all we know @Pete MB&D may hate long exposure rock pictures, and this 'competition' is very subjective and very dependant on the sole judges view. If you think you are being judged by others if you post in this thread then you are definitely wrong, we all have our interpretation of a good photograph, there is no right or wrong.

Now post your picture up!!!! :)

(I'm out on Saturday with my camera and will select an entry from the days shots)

I'm sorry but I find this thought process exceedingly negative

you can say what you like, but that is what I feel. I shall no longer be contributing to any photographic thread on PFM again. If anyone wants to look at my photos, they can go to my flickr site

I never looked at this as a 'competition' - I've done a lot of photo competitions over the years and can, if I want to, take pictures that win those competitions, but get little pleasure from that nowadays. I also exhibit, and I do put up pictures I know will sell, but I can also show images that no-one would put on their wall. Here on PFM we seem to be free of such restraints and I have seen some really great photographers make the journey from asking what camera a complete novice should buy, to the rarefied heights of excellence we see on these pages (I won't name names, but we can all see).
The photo theme I do try to enter as often as I can, as it forces me to actually go out and take a picture, but actually dread 'winning' as you then have to set a theme, and then, even worse, make a judgement on someone else's art.
It's just a bit of fun, and we take it seriously at our peril.

Sorry chaps - didn't realise my image would put people off. That was certainly not my intention and I see this 'competition' as just a bit of fun and something to encourage folk to go out and take photos.

I will withdraw my image.

Stop it now all of you or I will send you to your rooms!

Put your photo back Amar.

Post anything chaps, anything, you all have a fair chance of winning, unless you don't enter...

Pete

Last edited:
It is just a bit of fun, it encourages you to go out and take a photo to fit a theme, and share with others. I have learnt a lot from this forum, and it’s been a valuable part of my photographic journey.

@gintonic Im sorry you feel this way, this is one if the least judgemental forums I’ve come across. I hope that you reconsider.

Now @Lefty put that image back

And to the rest of you, pick up your cameras and let’s make the theme a success.

It is just a bit of fun, it encourages you to go out and take a photo to fit a theme, and share with others. I have learnt a lot from this forum, and it’s been a valuable part of my photographic journey.
And to the rest of you, pick up your cameras and let’s make the theme a success.

Amen to this

- it was the whole idea way back when the much-missed CliffP took a challenge from Vuk literally; and I think it has been one of the keystones in the the making of this photographic room - where we owe so much to each other, in terms of new images and ideas shared at any level and very especially open to new contribution.

The Theme thread is especially aimed at anyone, with anything from a 1pixel potato upward, to contribute and make us all look anew at a little bit of the world. It's a place to experiment and to share. And very definitely not some kind of closed self-congratulatory club - in any way at all. It would be very disappointing if the photo room were even perceived so; and if a member, anyone, chucks in a very polished image - we'd also be horrified if such a contribution discourages another at the start of their own experimentation or interest.

It's not that kind of webspace at all.

We all started somewhere, and we all learn anew each day; the DIY room here has a similar ethos. So - all, please give generously.

tl;dr: 'Friends are to be used, though never abused: that way we all get stronger'*

* from No beast So Fierce - Edward Bunker

That is the most childish thing I have seen in many years on this forum .

Lefty please put your image back , surely womderful images encourage not discourage us to go out and enjoy our photography.

Dave

Amen to this

- it was the whole idea way back when the much-missed CliffP took a challenge from Vuk literally; and I think it has been one of the keystones in the the making of this photographic room - where we owe so much to each other, in terms of new images and ideas shared at any level and very especially open to new contribution.

The Theme thread is especially aimed at anyone, with anything from a 1pixel potato upward, to contribute and make us all look anew at a little bit of the world. It's a place to experiment and to share. And very definitely not some kind of closed self-congratulatory club - in any way at all. It would be very disappointing if the photo room were even perceived so; and if a member, anyone, chucks in a very polished image - we'd also be horrified if such a contribution discourages another at the start of their own experimentation or interest.

It's not that kind of webspace at all.

We all started somewhere, and we all learn anew each day; the DIY room here has a similar ethos. So - all, please give generously.

tl;dr: 'Friends are to be used, though never abused: that way we all get stronger'*

* from No beast So Fierce - Edward Bunker

^^^
Well said!

I've put my image back up but I'm now off to take an image of a 1 pixel potato :D

Lefty

advertisement

Back