advertisement

Phonocarts that go well with the Ittok LVII

Unfortunately getting a demo of a cartridge is almost impossible these days. I've had to rely on dealer advice, & audio reviews for most of my purchases since CD became king. With regard to the OP, I've enjoyed the Sumiko Blue Point prior to my Linn & Lyra carts. I've wanted to try the giant slayers such as Zu/Denon 103, Shure V15, and AT33 but haven't had the opportunity to. They are the ones that are often recommended, before getting to silly money.

Robert - I think you are right in your description of Linn's earlier cartridge design, and that everything has got 'hotter' as you say. But, I think there is more to what I hear in the Helikon than the treble turned up to '10' and neither being more detailed than the other. Even if you are right, I work as a musician, and there is no treble roll-off in the live acoustic music I play - it's very extended. I miss that sparkle when I listen to my Linn cartridges. I also miss the full, rich, timbre of instruments that the Lyra doesn't get either (at least with my Ittok arm, which may be a limiting factor). Is there a cartridge that does it all?

I have a Lyra Helikon on my Ittok and it is wonderful. Not Shrill or thin in the least either. Actually very musical and natural sounding. I am a Musician as well. As a bass player, among other instruments, I do like to hear the Bass sound right, not thin or bloated and boomy I do use a Audionote step up trans, 2-10 ohm if I recall. One setting does sound about perfect but I don't remember which it is. I suspect it is the 10 ohm . I tried it with several pre phone amps but never liked the results on it or any other cartridge. And the Helikon tracks better than any other cartridge I have ever used too. I don't use the tone arm weight setter. I set the VTF by moving the weight itself and measure with the shure tracking gauge. Also, It has never seemed fussy about antiskate either, I barely use any.

just wanted to chime in since everyone else seems to have a different experience and possibly setup.

You're only allowed to use Linn carts in an Ittok :) Anyways, an Ortofon MC10 or MC20 is not a good match. That was clear when I put a Klyde on instead. Then I got an Expert Troika which is very good in the Ittok (and when the Ittok was replaced with an Ekos that was a very big improvement that I didn't expect since the Ittok was an LVIII/2)
Happy hunting.

I had many MC and quite a few MC cartridges on my Ittok(s). The worst MC was the AT32E which had no flesh to its bones and was quite unpleasant throughout the entire frequency bandwidth. The best MC was the Karma, which beat out the Asak (naturally) and a Koetsu Red. But the best sounding cartridge of the lot was a 50quid Supex SM100E which seemed to offer the best of all the cartridges and no weak spots. Tight, tuneful, textured and seamless. It took a Zeta/Koetsu Black just to equal that sound.

Used a Koetsu Black (not the goldline version) in the LVII for about 10 years and LOVED it.
Now have a Koetsu Rosewood Signature in an Ittok LVIII and love it even more! Mind you, I have modified the armrest by laser-cutting a combined collar and armrest like the last LVIIIs and Ekos's....and I have a Rosewood plinth, with Corian armboard, 6mm (not 5mm) diameter High Tensile chassis bolts, a 3mm thick laser-cut stainless steel top-plate, cirkus kit and am currently working on a laser-cut titanium subchassis....the whole lot sounds ****ing incredible!

I'm running an Asaka/Linto in my office right now and it is a bit rolled off for my taste, as Rob indicates. My current bullpen includes: DV20XL (old elliptical version), Grado MCZ, Sumiko BPS (original, and acquired with the LP12/Ittok), Denon 103 (which I also find a bit rolled off in an SME IV or a VPI arm), an OC9/II (a tad lean and on the bright side in the SME into a Prefix), Ortofon OM30. I was planning on the OC9 to balance the ripe character of the deck. [Other phonostages available are Expo 13, P75 (original), Stageline N and Prefix (either run from a hicap).] Pre is Densen DM20, power is 180, speakers Rega Ela (original fluted).

What would you do (besides sell a lot of gear)?

Had K9 and Karma which both suited it very well. Ortofon 25fl less successful. I currently have a DL103 which punches above its weight and is ridiculously good for the £80 or so it cost.

Update:

With a Daiwok Midas body, the humble 103 now amazes. Total cost around £200 new.

LP12 + Linn tonearm works best with a Linn Cartridge. System design and synergy ?
Sounds logical.

Klyde sounds good on Ekos 2 so maybe also on the ittok. Worth a listen.

Another practical advantage of Linn cartridges is they can be used with the Audio –Technica AT-637 vibrating stylus cleaner or the green stuff.

advertisement

Back