advertisement

Phonocarts that go well with the Ittok LVII

hello,

very simple question:

which cart did you enjoy a lot on the Ittok?

me, i had a Goldring 1042 (w/ Stageline N, later Heed Quasar) and i enjoyed it a lot.

looking forward to your findings:
+christian

Hi Christian,

In the ~12 years I've had my LP12/Ittok, I've had the following cartridges (all MC designs):

1. AudioTechnika AT-OC5
  2. Ortofon Rondo Red
  3. Ortofon Kontrapunkt 'a'
  4. Ortofon Kontrapunkt 'h'

The OC5 was not a bad cartridge, but prone to pick up surface noise and tended to be a wee bit on the bright side.

The Rondo Red was a minor improvement - particularly with regard to surface noise - but tended to be a bit cluttered in the upper mid-range.

The 'a' was a definite step up from the Rondo Red and was definitely less cluttered and further reduced the surface noise levels.

The 'h' is probably where I'll stop - unless forced to change by some accident - as it is a very musically involving cartridge that builds on the strengths of the 'a' and really opens up the treble, produces a nice taut bass and renders the mids with an intimate and approachable reality that just makes one want to play more and more albums.

The Ittok LVII and the 'h' also work well together.

The Kontrapunkt range has just been superceded by the Cadenza range and you may be fortunate enough to find a Kontrapunkt at an attractive price.

Happy hunting!
:cool:

the Adikt works really well with the Ittok.

I've also heard the Klyde make good music on an Ittok.

I ran an ATOC7 (not recommended), as well as a Goldring Elite (fairly average).

I have an ATOC9 in my Ittok and like it - it might be too bright in some systems, but matches mine very nicely.

When I first had the arm, I ran Garrot brothers re-tipped Supex 900, which was a lot fun, but wore out, and had a rubbery, over-blown bass.

the Linn carts are the usual suspects - sure.

what about the dynavector range: DV20XL or - one step up - the KaratMK3 - has anyone had this pairing?

i take it the Ittok is approx. 12gramm effectively?

I have run the following - all Low Output MCs
  • Linn ASAK - it came with the table as a package and it was my first ever MC and it converted me to MCs for the vast majority of my listening.
  • AT 31E - A tad bright but pretty good for the money - and replacement styli are still available.
  • Stilton Mod'd ATOC5 - a vast step up on the 31E with more detail and a more controlled and smoother top end - it' a candidate for a retip
  • Kiseki Purple Heart Sapphire - wonderful cartridge and worth every penny of the then one grand tag had it rebuilt a couple of years ago by Van den Huul
  • DV Karat17D2 - got me hooked on the DV sound, smooth, fast but I found this one a tad bass light
  • DV Te Kaitora Rua - it's staying....along with the VdH rebuilt PHS
I now have a Troika to try and maybe rebuild if it shows enough promise to rival the DV or Kiseki - both of which got better still on the Ekos.

BTW, the only one of these that is currently not serviceable is the ASAK.

I have a Dynavector Karat II on my arm with the P-75 phono stage, my first upgrade from a K-18 mm.
The detail is obviously much improved over the Linn and its all very coherant if a little "polite", however for the amount of use it gets im a happy bunny.

I have had:-

AT OC9MLII (£160 at the time, loved it, realised it was a bit lean and lacking emotion though)

Linn Troika rebuilt by ESC - its a superb combo.

"A DV20XH on the Ittok - lifeless"

kuma
the difference between the high and the low version is a lot bigger than expected - don't know why...

In the 9" Ittok:
Had a K9 - yuck!!
Ortofon MC15 Super - better
vdh retipped Troika - rather nice
ESC retipped Troika - nicer still

In the 12":
Just the current Denon DL103 - not perfect but great fun

sumiko blue point - had a wearying, metallic upper midrange and treble
dynavector 10x4mkII - absolutely wonderful; virtually everything i could want in a cartridge
Goldring 1042 - never provided the satisfaction of the dynavector. sorry, ymmv
dynavector 19AmkII - got it "free" with a used LP12/aro i bought. absolutely wonderful. Coincided with a used Linto going into the system.
dynavector 17D3 - terriffic. was able to get it about 40% off retail. otherwise probably wouldhave gone back to the 10x5.

sumiko blue point - had a wearying, metallic upper midrange and treble
dynavector 10x4mkII - absolutely wonderful; virtually everything i could want in a cartridge
Goldring 1042 - never provided the satisfaction of the dynavector. sorry, ymmv
dynavector 19AmkII - got it "free" with a used LP12/aro i bought. absolutely wonderful. Coincided with a used Linto going into the system.
dynavector 17D3 - terriffic. was able to get it about 40% off retail. otherwise probably wouldhave gone back to the 10x5.

I have heard the DV 17D3 into my Linto and thought they worked well together.

Karat DV17 is nice if you have the old traditional Linn with steel sub-chassis. The lean and crisp presentation balances the fullness of the TT.
Not sure how it would perform on a new Linn though.

ATOC9 is also good for similar reasons and there is no reason why an AT33 shouldn't work well.

"A DV20XH on the Ittok - lifeless"

the difference between the high and the low version is a lot bigger than expected - don't know why...
That maybe.

I just skipped it and moved on to a 19A mk. II and ARO.

Muuuuch better.
19a-aro.jpg

Karat DV17 is nice if you have the old traditional Linn with steel sub-chassis. The lean and crisp presentation balances the fullness of the TT.

That's what I ran for a while - a really enjoyable combination. I'm planning to dust off the old thing over xmas and bolt a new AT95E to the Ittok.

So there you have it - ultimately, the Ittok is not very fussy with regard to the cartridge fitted to it.

I do think the comments regarding the matching of lean sounding cartridges with the older LP12's has some merit though - however, it does depend on the balance of the rest of the system.

Edit: I've owned a Karat Ruby in the past (I still own it but don't use it) and I would agree that it has a lean balance. However, whilst some may describe its sound as neutral I'm afraid I hear this as emotionally uncommunicative and find it particularly 'bland' sounding in the midrange. Ultimately, I much prefer the Linn cartridges (Karma, Troika) but these can sound rather 'fat' on older LP12's.

advertisement

Back