advertisement

Phono upgrade recommendations from Whest ps30r to ?

Pkay

pfm Member
Hi all,

I currently have a Whest PS30r and am looking to upgrade. I would appreciate any recommendations and my current thoughts are a Naim Superline/TeddyPardo supercap combination or a two year old Audia Flight. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as would any thoughts on the Naim and AF options.

The rest of my system comprises a Pink Triangle Anniversary fully modified by Charles at True Point Audio, a Lavardin IT amplifier and Graham LS 5/9 speakers. My cartridge is a Benz Wood L and the tonearm is an Audio Origami PU7.

As I live in Sydney I would prefer options for phonos that would be supported in Sydney which means another Whest is not in the mix.

Thanks for your consideration.

Hi,

I’d not hear Audia Flight phonostage before but have had experience with its amplifiers. If the phonostage has a similar house sound of its amplifier, it is a rather different presentation to Whest and Naim.

If you enjoy the PS.30R, why not move up? PS.40RDT.SE or a Titan Pro?

Naim Superline and Supercap should be very musical as well.

Hi,

I’d not hear Audia Flight phonostage before but have had experience with its amplifiers. If the phonostage has a similar house sound of its amplifier, it is a rather different presentation to Whest and Naim.

If you enjoy the PS.30R, why not move up? PS.40RDT.SE or a Titan Pro?

Naim Superline and Supercap should be very musical as well.
Price and support. There is no service for Whest in Sydney. Both Naim and Audia Flight have service facilities in Aust.

Hi all,

I currently have a Whest PS30r and am looking to upgrade. I would appreciate any recommendations and my current thoughts are a Naim Superline/TeddyPardo supercap combination or a two year old Audia Flight. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as would any thoughts on the Naim and AF options.

The rest of my system comprises a Pink Triangle Anniversary fully modified by Charles at True Point Audio, a Lavardin IT amplifier and Graham LS 5/9 speakers. My cartridge is a Benz Wood L and the tonearm is an Audio Origami PU7.

As I live in Sydney I would prefer options for phonos that would be supported in Sydney which means another Whest is not in the mix.

Thanks for your consideration.
Broadly similar system choices I think - PT modded, Gyro, 1200G, XX2Mk2, Cadenza Bronze, Kleos etc.

Not heard the Audia Flight gear. Had both Whest and Naim in a 500 system. Luxman, Cyrus and Lyngdorf amps, ML 11a and Proac speakers among other gear.

I ended up with 2 "keepers" which take multiple carts and should be OK buying in OZ.

Main rig - Luxman EQ-500

Office rig - Cyrus Phono Sig + PSX-R2​

Very happy with both, the Cyrus is not so good with some MM but that won't be an issue for you I expect

ATB

Gus

Broadly similar system choices I think - PT modded, Gyro, 1200G, XX2Mk2, Cadenza Bronze, Kleos etc.

Not heard the Audia Flight gear. Had both Whest and Naim in a 500 system. Luxman, Cyrus and Lyngdorf amps, ML 11a and Proac speakers among other gear.

I ended up with 2 "keepers" which take multiple carts and should be OK buying in OZ.

Main rig - Luxman EQ-500

Office rig - Cyrus Phono Sig + PSX-R2​

Very happy with both, the Cyrus is not so good with some MM but that won't be an issue for you I expect

ATB

Gus
Which Whest phono did you have and what improvement/characteristics does the Luxman have that is a keeper?

thanks very much for your reply

The older version TWO and 30R.

I wanted multiple inputs and no dip switches or dismantling the box, so flexibility and convenience came into it.

As to sound quality, one mans meat and all that, I’d say the thing that I like better is that all the detail/hifi stuff at the top end is there, just like top quality digital, just in a smoother sounding presentation, non fatiguing, no glare, the soundstage is a bit deeper/wider.

I have had a fair few decent digital front ends, including the Auralic G2 stack and currently dCS, you can't knock the convenience of streaming and playing SACD rips sounds amazing but I always come back to spinning LPs when I can sit down for a proper long listening session, there’s just something “right” about that sound.

I’m a child of the 80’s so that’s the era of music I play a lot, Icehouse being a fave, when I was in the honeymoon period with the Lux (Bronze or XX2) I got the “didn’t notice that bit before” on a couple of the tracks from the first two albums I have plays a million times, similar with The The n a traand the just one more 3am sessions.

There’s so much choice out there and at this level it’s not really about x being “better” than y, more that they are “different”.

The other stage I shortlisted was the Musical Fidelity NuVista, dunno if they are available in your part of the world, I chose the Cyrus over it.

That’s a terrific system

I would consider a Trilogy 907 - good levels of detail but not forensic sounding. Would sound amazing

That’s a terrific system

I would consider a Trilogy 907 - good levels of detail but not forensic sounding. Would sound amazing
I traded the 907 for the Lux :) Thought the 906 was amazing and the best all round stage under £1K I’ve had, the 907 didn’t fulfil its promise when I looked at the cost - nearly three times the 906. Do Trilogy have a dealer in OZ?

I traded the 907 for the Lux :) Thought the 906 was amazing and the best all round stage under £1K I’ve had, the 907 didn’t fulfil its promise when I looked at the cost - nearly three times the 906. Do Trilogy have a dealer in OZ?
Trilogy had a dealer for a short time. I tried their integrated amp and found it a bit under powered with my previous speakers.

I’ve been there had a Whest 30R and a Micro Benz Wood SL and I had a Paradise phono stage made by Simon Clark of this parish. A quantum leap in performance however I don’t know how to get one occasionally one comes up for sale but the problem you’re in OZ. PM him he might be able to help?

Regards,

Martin

Last edited:
I’ve been there had a Whest 30R and a Micro Benz Wood SL and I had a Paradise phono stage made by Simon Clark of this parish. A quantum leap in performance however I don’t know how get one occasionally one comes up for sale but the problem you’re in OZ. PM him he might be able to help?

Regards,

Martin
Thanks Martin. I have never heard of a Simon Clarke. Is there a link to a website?

Another vote for Vida, I've Paradise too but suspect logistics may be an issue.
I had 907, I didn't find it warm, I thought it had Naim/Prat signature. Lots of detail though.

advertisement

Back