advertisement

Phono stages with volume controls?

JezmondTutu

pfm Member
I'm not keen to plug a pre-amp back into my system because the Weiss dac sounds so good, but if I want to use my LP12, I need to find a phono stage with a volume control and a switch box to switch from vinyl to dac.

I'd welcome any recommendations - preferably ones which don't cost silly money!

Yup, I can think of phono stages with volume controls...but none with switching as well.

Why not just use a splitter lead rather than a proper switch? Both will be connected but you are only going to listen to one or the other.

Yeah, what you're asking for is a preamp.

FWIW, I use a PS Audio GCPH phono pre, which has volume. I manually switch input leads between it and my DAC when I want to change sources. This switching is easy and quick because I use balanced XLR connections, which can be hot-swapped safely, unlike RCAs. If you're already using XLRs with the Weiss, this solution would work, otherwise it might be a pain (it would require powering down the amp to change sources, basically).

I'm not using XLR as my power amp isn't balanced - not
a lot of hassle switching cables over I guess though as
I'm not likely to be constantly switching from one to other.

Any idea of costs of phono stages would be appreciated. I currently have an Aro with AT33PTG if that makes any difference.

But why would the switching box be better than a simple preamp (which need be little more than a switching box with volume, but would have the potential advantage of buffered outputs, e.g.)?

I'd have though the point was to simplify the signal path as much as possible, in which case the switching box isn't helping.

But if you don't mind a switching box in the signal path, then you shouldn't mind a DI box in it. Then you could use XLR leads from your DAC and phono pre with volume (like the set up I mentioned), send them into your DI box, and output RCA unbalanced to your amp.

I personally think the Weiss sounds better without my preamp, so didn't want to re-introduce it into the system unless I really have to.

Cost of phono stages with volume corrals would be great please.

I personally think the Weiss sounds better without my preamp

That's what I thought with my Lavry, which is why I didn't want to mess with a switching box in the path either :) . It may not make much difference though.

I think the PS Audio is around $700.

Phonostages with volume control tend to be expensive right now,but maybe the trend
is for manufactures to add this function.

Quad qc24, ear 834p, Brinkmann Fein, ray samuels nighthawk & Emmeline XR-10B, Manley Steelhead

Second hand Brinkman is about £900 but rare in my experience-have you heard the M2 tech yet Jez? Maybe worth a listen with your pre back in the mix.
Si

The closest is perhaps the Yaqin MS-12B Chinese Phono stage/pre-amp which has a single input. With a bit a tube rolling not a bad device and can be had for under £200. Otherwise the PS Audio GCPH is the nearest I know of, I had the matching pre which was very good and currently now for sale with 2ndhandhifi. I have had my money so no reason to plug. It also has balanced outputs but single ended inputs on this version.

EAR 834P phono stage then you could get a simple switch box from maplins or use a passive preamp to run the phono and dac through.

ps audio or brinkmann

a switch doesnt require buffering

i have both cd and vinyl source with volume control with a balanced switch between them. sounds much better than a pre this way

Just my 2d as I thought everyone knew that I have done just this and my Grad1/TPX1 has been sitting in a spare bedroom this last 6 months.

Vinyl - LP12/Ittok/Troika/Mose/Brinkmann Fein phono stage => two-way switch
Digital - Thinkpad (soon to be Mac Mini)/Wiess DAC202 => two-way switch

Output from two-way switch => 2 off Meridian 559s wired in bridged mode => Shahinian Obelisk 2.

The next upgrade will be to a new vinyl front end but at the mo the last system upgrade made the vinyl system really sing...........

The switch? One of these http://www.hifigear.co.uk/qed-ix20-2-way-input-expander.html

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back