advertisement

Phono Stage suggestions

Pete Green

pfm Member
I'm thinking of trying a new phono stage - I've had the same naim stage line for 15 years, with hi-cap, fed by my gyro SE. Cartridge is an MC OrtofonBronze Cadenza.
Amp is a Moonriver 404 Reference. Any recommendations gratefully received. I seem to be listening to a lot of classical right now.

There is/was a Liehmann Black Cube SEii in the classifieds for £500, you wouldn't go far wrong grabbing that if it's still available.

I'm thinking of trying a new phono stage - I've had the same naim stage line for 15 years, with hi-cap, fed by my gyro SE. Cartridge is an MC OrtofonBronze Cadenza.
Amp is a Moonriver 404 Reference. Any recommendations gratefully received. I seem to be listening to a lot of classical right now.
What’s your budget?

I’ve a Cad Bronze and a Gyro SE here, not familiar with Moonriver kit, reckon that Bronze deserves a better stage than your Stageline. I’ve tried a fair few around £1K and really liked the Trilogy 906, kept it quite a while, the P75Mk4 is also a very decent shout, had all 4 versions but tended to marry them with Dyn carts, have an XX2Mk2 on my Gyro, the Bronze is now on my 1200G.

I've got a Trigon Audio Vanguard III mm/mc phono stage; excellent unit and bettered my previous units by a mile!
Only bought last year; yours for £550!

What’s your budget?

I’ve a Cad Bronze and a Gyro SE here, not familiar with Moonriver kit, reckon that Bronze deserves a better stage than your Stageline. I’ve tried a fair few around £1K and really liked the Trilogy 906, kept it quite a while, the P75Mk4 is also a very decent shout, had all 4 versions but tended to marry them with Dyn carts, have an XX2Mk2 on my Gyro, the Bronze is now on my 1200G.
Interesting- I’m thinking about a 1200g later in the year, for system 2. Listened late to the gyrodec last night. The soundstage is so wide and beguiling. Very immersive. What was it like going from that to the technics ?

And budget for phono stage - probably under £2K
Thanks for all the advice . Very helpful

Interesting- I’m thinking about a 1200g later in the year, for system 2. Listened late to the gyrodec last night. The soundstage is so wide and beguiling. Very immersive. What was it like going from that to the technics ?

And budget for phono stage - probably under £2K
Thanks for all the advice . Very helpful
I run both in the main rig into a Luxman EQ-500 (3 inputs), the Techy majors on pitch stability/bottom end solidity and wins out big on ease of use - hinged lid, instant start/stop, cart swap is done in seconds with spare head-shells, impervious to footfall/minor knocks.

Neither is better that the other, just different, if I had to only have one TT it’d be the 1200G, luckily I’m at the point in life that multiple TTs and Systems/Rooms isn’t an issue.

At £2K I went with Cyrus Sig + PSX (used in another system now), I tried a number of well known makes, surprisingly wasn’t taken with the Trilogy 907 or the couple of Whest stages I had, if not the Cyrus I’d look at a used Aurosound Vida Mk1 (the new Mk2 is spendy when you add the XLR and Loading options).

BTW I have "that" Black Cube SEII. Purchased for my mono set up - "OK" but nothing special (although the 'specialized" press would see a good match with the Lehmann..). Use a VTL 2.5/II tube phono. In teh past from memory ASR Basis Exclusive, Violectric PPA, Octave EQ.2, Sugden Masterclass (=crap), Leben 30EQ, Clearaudio Balance +, Primare R35 (2x). Of all those the Primare has left the best impression (yes sold with regret and might get another one)

The Cyrus Phono Signature Phono Stage is within budget and is excellent. It also can be upgraded at a later day with an external power supply.

Brilliant - thanks all so much. I’m getting lots of classical vinyl from an old friend’s estate next week - Tony L’s label guide on the classical page was illuminating and very helpful. What a great resource this site is ☺️
Post back when you choose something, always good to hear how things end up. I’m near Aberdeen, doubt you live nearby but if so I’d be happy to lend you my Cyrus Sig.

I use a GoldNote PH10 with a psu 10 on my main rig (p8/hana sl). So good I have bought a pre owned PH10 for the lp12. I like the ability to change the loading on the fly.
Apologies for slight detour - but would love to hear what you compared the GoldNote to before purchasing, esp. Rega Aria etc.

Apologies for slight detour - but would love to hear what you compared the GoldNote to before purchasing, esp. Rega Aria etc.
To be honest I bought blind. No dealers near to me to compare with so I trawled the reviews of similar priced kit and decided to try the PH10 on a sale or return. I liked it and then added the psu10. My previous phono was the humble Rega fono mc.

Edit, i also have onboard phono cards on my Naim kit, the S, K and E cars for mc carts.

@bruss ..FWiW I have the Gold Note PH10 and PSU10, I did try it next to the Cyrus with PSXR and marginally preferred it. I'm currently running a Koetsu Red Signature through the Gold Note and it sounds sublime.

advertisement

Back