advertisement

Phono stage, loading resistor values

337alant

Negatively Biased
I am considering installing a rotary 6 way switch in my Paradise phono stage for a range of loading resistor values.
What value would you chose that would give a useful range for different cartridges ?, all recommendations appreciated
I presently only need a 100r which works fine with my Kontrapunkt B and Denon 103R but I would like to be able to quickly select between say 50r/100r /220r
I guess the other alternative is to run leads to phono sockets and use a loading plug with a resister across signal and ground.

Alan

Yeh, just extend the wires from the input socket to your new rca socket. I've toyed with the idea of wiring up a 24 position elma switch to a set of rca plugs to use when visiting with a Paradise in tow. Just less hassle than a gazillion plugs. But it does extend the input wiring and run the risk of emi ingress.

My DL103 works best with 1k. I had to solder them into place. The Elma selector is a good idea!

Another option is to use relays. If you accept paralleling resistors to get the value you want you don't need to have a dozen of resistors / relays, paralleling resistors via two or three relays being selected.
Signal relays work just fine.
My commercial phono comes with the following values: 100, 115, 130, 150, 510, 1k, 47k.

I am using this one with dip switches with 5 resistors - for potential 7-8 resistors if caps are not needed:
https://www.ebay.it/itm/36369200235...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Not elegant as a rotary switch I must say and needs an open case for changing settings (a proper hole could be cut in the case to reach them) but it's very flexible.

The link states that the recommended components are:
-resistors: 10ohm, 47ohm, 100ohm, 470ohm, 1kohm
Maybe not the 10.. but I'd probably include a 30ohm resistor (if a parallel of 47 // 100 ohm is not an option in the solution you'll employ)

OK thanks to all for your comments think I am going to go with the rotary switch with the following values
47R, 100r, 150r, 220r, 470, 1K

alan

I used a 6-position rotary in the back of mine, from memory they were 75, 100, 150, 220, 330, 470. Depends how high/low you want to go. I have a few Denon cartridges some of which have low coil resistance (DL-304, DL-S1 etc) so wanted to try a lower loading @75, then guessed 470 is high as might want to go. If you pick a "make before break" switch you can change position when playing

I used a 6-position rotary in the back of mine, from memory they were 75, 100, 150, 220, 330, 470. Depends how high/low you want to go. I have a few Denon cartridges some of which have low coil resistance (DL-304, DL-S1 etc) so wanted to try a lower loading @75, then guessed 470 is high as might want to go. If you pick a "make before break" switch you can change position when playing
David, appreciate your input I will be proceeding in a similar fashion
Alan

OK thanks to all for your comments think I am going to go with the rotary switch with the following values
47R, 100r, 150r, 220r, 470, 1K

alan

Having both DL103 and DL103R, I would have added 300 as a value. Choosing between 150 and 300 is a matter of taste, my friend liked better 300 with DL103.
Also it could be a matter of phono you will be using: I use slightly different settings for my phono stages from Salas and Audionet.

Are gonna place the selector in the front or the back panel ?

Last edited:
Having both DL103 and DL103R, I would have added 300 as a value. Choosing between 150 and 300 is a matter of test, my friend liked better 300 with DL103.
Also it could be a matter of phono you will be using: I use slightly different settings for my phono stages from Salas and Audionet.

Are gonna place the selector in the front or the back panel ?

Ramona,
Good point and the 330uf value was also ref @ DF Genius so I could loose the 1K value
Not sure where the switch will be mounted, I thought back panel as front panel is more difficult to mark with values as its 10mm anodised
So I'm thinking 47R, 100r, 150r, 220r, 330R, 470R.

Alan

advertisement

Back