advertisement

Phono cartridge recommendation under GBP 750

Thank everyone for all those suggestions.

As an update, I got an opportunity to try out an Ortofon Rondo Red in my system. I LOVED the tonal qualities of this cart. It is very well saturated but still very accurate tonally. The instruments have a bigness about it, it is wet and nicely alive, just like a quality tube amp. The Dynavector comparatively sounds more solid state like, smaller tones, more cut out, less colourful though a little zippy compared to the Rondo Red. Dynamically the Dynavector seems to have an edge over the Rondo, the Dyna has a little more macro dynamic presentation and slightly crisper leading edge giving a sense of "little" more excitement in some music. It also has a little more speed compared to Rondo. But overall the Rondo sounds more emotional and correct tonally. This has led me to think of higher end Ortofons. Can I expect the Kontrapunkts to give me all that I got from the Rondo Red with more resolution, dynamics and speed ? I was thinking of the Kontrapunkt B. Anyone ?

I should also add that the Rondo is not as open sounding as the 17D3 or the ZYX I had before.

I got an opportunity to try out an Ortofon Rondo Red in my system. I LOVED the tonal qualities of this cart. It is very well saturated but still very accurate tonally. The instruments have a bigness about it, it is wet and nicely alive, just like a quality tube amp

Could it be that some of this signature sound that you mention has something to do with the wood/resin bodies of the Rondo series perhaps? If so the Rondo Bronze would seem like the logical choice.

I heard a Rondo Bronze in another system recently and it is a very even sounding cart. No frequencies stand out, I think it's frequency response is dead flat. It was very good indeed in that system.

Can I expect the Kontrapunkts to give me all that I got from the Rondo Red with more resolution, dynamics and speed ? I was thinking of the Kontrapunkt B. Anyone ?

The Kontrapunkts are no longer in production. They have been replaced by the Cadenza range (Red-£795, Blue-£1095, Bronze-£1350 and the Black-£1650). The Cadenza range is extremely good and a big improvement over the Kontrapunkt's. I can highly recommend the Bronze which would be a very good match on the Verdier, although the Red is within your budget.

The Kontrapunkts are no longer in production. They have been replaced by the Cadenza range (Red-£795, Blue-£1095, Bronze-£1350 and the Black-£1650). The Cadenza range is extremely good and a big improvement over the Kontrapunkt's. I can highly recommend the Bronze which would be a very good match on the Verdier, although the Red is within your budget.

Hi GT, I was hoping to get a Kontrapunkt on one of the ebay sales. It is quite common there and for under GBP 500 one can get a good mid level ones. However your recommendation about Cadenza is also interesting. The Verdier is a bit romantic sounding TT so I was looking for a fast, lively kind of cart. In that regards do you think the Cadenza Blue might do better than Bronze ? In one of the reviews I remember reading an Ortofon representative saying that Cadenza Bronze is a romantic sounding cartridge:rolleyes:, thats the reason for my question.

Have you heard the Kontrapunkt B ?

I have a brand new ESCO Denon 103 and a used (in vg condition) Benz LP ebony surplus to requirements.
I have had an ortofon MC3000 and Jubilee, I found them accurate but rather un-involving compared to the Benz ebony.

Hi pani , i use a cadenza bronze, and i would not call it romantic, the top end
is very natural and not over hyped, also sweet and clean unlike the denon 103
overall the cartridge has great body/weight throughout its range, but also
has great bass. i got to listen to a lyra delos and imho its a tad on the bright
side, spu and shelter also recomended.

Cadenza bronze is my fantasy cart. If you were working backwards, from cart to Turntable, what kind of set up do you think you need to do that cart justice? I mean what would be the minimum budget deck and arm to bring out its qualities.

I have a brand new ESCO Denon 103 and a used (in vg condition) Benz LP ebony surplus to requirements.

Hi Dave,

What cart has claimed your affections, so that the Benz LP is "surplus to requirements"? The ESCO 103 ... or have you bought another one as well?

Regards,

Andy

I am lucky enough to own two Ebony carts. I bought the ESCO as a spare back up. However have recently had a CD player go up the creek so am looking to fund repairs.

I have had an ortofon MC3000 and Jubilee, I found them accurate but rather un-involving compared to the Benz ebony.

Can you please elaborate about the ESCo modification ? I tried a quick google but could not get to their website.

Could it be that some of this signature sound that you mention has something to do with the wood/resin bodies of the Rondo series perhaps? If so the Rondo Bronze would seem like the logical choice.

May be, but I also felt that the sound was somewhat slow and lacks agility. I am a Naimee, so you can understand how difficult it would be for me to take a compromise on PRAT factor:p

the ESCO Denon 103 is, a selected unit, rebuilt with expert's own sapphire cantilever and diamond para trace stylus. It has been favourably compared to carts upto around 1k.
The stylus is the same they use on high end carts.
It compares well with the Ebony LP in terms of detail, tracking, tonality etc, just doesn't give the depth and sound stage, which is what you pay the extra for.

Photo
denon2.jpg

Interesting to read that ESCO select their 103s. I have a ZU 103 with the ESCO cantilever and tip and Zu select and grade their 103s, apparently they reject 2 out of 3 donor carts as too far out of spec. Wonder how great a bearing that has on users experience with the Denon?

There are a couple of Linn Arkiv's for well under your budget on the 'Bay from a dealer. Nothing to do with me btw.
However the Arkiv B is a stonking cart & if you're prepared to go 2nd hand, would be pretty much impossible to beat for the ££.
Mine was retipped by ESCO prior to me buying it. The receipt was sent with the cart & for the money involved, an ArkivB retip service presents superb vfm.
Matt.

I bought my Benz Wood brand new from ESCO on their exchange scheme for £574 including VAT and delivery. Basically you send in any old cartridge (doesn't even have to be working) and you get the discount. I'm using it on an SME20 with a Kondo wired SME V so you could say the cartridge was the cheapest part of the system and it sounds fantastic - highly recommended.

I have a mint Fidelity Research FR1-MKIII for sale @ £350 with 60%+ life left if you`re looking for one of the best all round MC`s out there. Rivals £1k new carts and is similar to the Koetsu `house` sound and presentation. Vintage yes, but fantastically built and supremely musical.

There are a couple of Linn Arkiv's for well under your budget on the 'Bay from a dealer. Nothing to do with me btw.
However the Arkiv B is a stonking cart & if you're prepared to go 2nd hand, would be pretty much impossible to beat for the ££.
Mine was retipped by ESCO prior to me buying it. The receipt was sent with the cart & for the money involved, an ArkivB retip service presents superb vfm.
Matt.

Hi Matt, can you please say a few words about the Arkiv B sonics ?

Hi Matt, can you please say a few words about the Arkiv B sonics ?
OK, I'll try.
Well, when it was the current Linn cart, I believe it retailed for approx £1800, so it should be bloody superb for that money.
The good news is that it is, at least in my opinion.
Good,powerful, deep & defined bass end, great imaging, plenty of detail & a sweet top end as well. I find it difficult to fault, but then again I've not heard many carts of a similar price to comapre it to.
Previously I had a Lyra Dorian which I think is a great cart at the £600 price point. Typical Lyra, detailed, bags of energy, possibly a bit over-bright in some systems.
The ArkivB improves on the Dorian in all respects (as it should do for the ££), with a sweeter top end & the bass power being the biggest improvements to my ears.
A good mate of mine has a similar set-up to me & is presently using an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, which is definitely a superb cart, but when he heard my ArkivB I definitely got the impression that he thought the Linn was better.
Summing up, if you could get an ArkivB for the £6-700 region & you've got confidence that it isn't shagged out i just can't imagine anyone being less than totally thrilled with it.
A pro. review here.
http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartridges/200linn/index.html
Hope that helps
Matt.

advertisement

Back