advertisement

Phono cartridge recommendation under GBP 750

OK, I'll try.
Well, when it was the current Linn cart, I believe it retailed for approx £1800, so it should be bloody superb for that money.
The good news is that it is, at least in my opinion.
Good,powerful, deep & defined bass end, great imaging, plenty of detail & a sweet top end as well. I find it difficult to fault, but then again I've not heard many carts of a similar price to comapre it to.
Previously I had a Lyra Dorian which I think is a great cart at the £600 price point. Typical Lyra, detailed, bags of energy, possibly a bit over-bright in some systems.
The ArkivB improves on the Dorian in all respects (as it should do for the ££), with a sweeter top end & the bass power being the biggest improvements to my ears.
A good mate of mine has a similar set-up to me & is presently using an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, which is definitely a superb cart, but when he heard my ArkivB I definitely got the impression that he thought the Linn was better.
Summing up, if you could get an ArkivB for the £6-700 region & you've got confidence that it isn't shagged out i just can't imagine anyone being less than totally thrilled with it.
A pro. review here.
http://www.stereophile.com/phonocartridges/200linn/index.html
Hope that helps
Matt.

Thanks a lot Matt, that is really helpful.
For about the same kind money I am also getting a slightly used Lyra Delos. Have you heard the Delos ? What would be your pick ?

Hmm, the Delos gets rave reviews. TBH, if I hadn't found the ArkivB & decided to "take a gamble" on it, the Delos would have been my most likely replacement for the Dorian.
Still havent heard the Delos yet, apparently its still Lyra-like, but a bit more refined it its character.
Some Lyras run VERY low to the LP surface & can pick up surface fluff etc very quickly. Don't know if the Delos is like this, but it may be something to be aware of. I've seen some pics on this forum of seriously low-rider Lyras, although it wasn't something that affected my Dorian.
I would be interested in hearing the 2 carts side-by-side. It may well be a personal preference rather than an A beats B type outcome.
Matt.

I used to have a Linn Naim set up with a troika cartridge. When I had the opportunity to hear an Arkiv it was similar but with more information in the bottom end - more texture - you could hear a more obvious plucking of bass guitar for instance.

The Lyra carts I have heard have been excellent.

It does seem to be very difficult to get meaningful demos of cartridges. The turntable and arm have a huge influence. You need to hear a selection of cartridges in the same TT/arm combo. My approach has been there is no point in paying for an expensive cart if the TT and arm are not of very high quality.

When I had the Linn the thinking was the TT was the most influential component, then the arm and lastly the cartridge. I think this hierarchy still holds true. However since the advent of separate phono stages there is yet another influencing factor.
Back in the day the pre had a built in phono stage and that was it!

As the system becomes more resolving then the subtleties in cartridge sound become more apparent. Having tried quite a few cartridges no individual cart seems to do it all, they all have strengths and weaknesses to a greater or lesser degree. I guess this is why multiple arms and carts have become a bit more common. It really is a matter of personal preference assuming the basics (e.g decent tracking / balanced sound) are covered. Very much like speakers.

I bought a Delos off a fellow Pink Fisher earlier in the year and it's been an absolute revelation. So highly recommended in the context of a Rega P9/Dynavector/Naim system.

I finally got to hear a Lyra Delos on a Rega P9/RB1000 combination. It has amazing amount of details, dynamics and transparency. On good well recorded material, especially recent pressings the sound is very very good, clearly hi-rez compared to CD playback. However on older LPs, especially the 50's, 60's and 70's it just sounds too modern. All the details are there but without the aura and vintage-ness we normally grew up hearing the Elvis and Led Zep. They sound some what bleached and threadbare. Basically this is a good cart for new age pressings and well recorded stuff.

My listening involves at least 50% of oldies and 50% recent LPs so the Lyra is not exactly for me. May be if I had 3 tonearms, one would have a Lyra to hear and enjoy some audiophile stuffs once in a while. But for daily listening I would want something more universal.

advertisement

Back