advertisement

Phones with decent cameras at a decent price....

steveinspain

pfm Member
I've been using Xiaomi phones for a few years now, and my current Redmi note 7 is starting to show its age. Review here if you are interested and bored..
https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/reviews/xiaomi/148258-redmi-note-7-review

So, I've started looking...
Have any of you got any hands -on experience of phones under £300 with vaguely decent cameras ?
I don't do selfie stuff, don't want a million effects unless they can all be turned off, but do want something that for everyday use when out without a (proper) camera produces ok results. A zoom might be useful, as long as it's not digital, and a fairly wide angle would be good too.
Mainly daylight use as I'm too old to go out late, and I'd rather have something smaller than 6.5" screen size but have seen the Xiaomi mi 10 and Xiaomi poco 3 which are both slightly larger at 6.67"
Comparison here -
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10415&idPhone2=10183

Otherwise my needs are pretty basic - I rarely watch videos, do want a headphone socket and a decent battery.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks if you do !

I'm no phone expert and I'm totally unfamiliar with Xiaomi tbh, but the Huawei P30 camera is pretty good. Only thing is that on default settings sometimes the colours seem slightly oversaturated, compared to an iphone say. I think it's very good with b&w white though.

It's well put together and ticks the other boxes, and has generous memory and expansion options.

I'm no phone expert and I'm totally unfamiliar with Xiaomi tbh, but the Huawei P30 camera is pretty good. Only thing is that on default settings sometimes the colours seem slightly oversaturated, compared to an iphone say. I think it's very good with b&w white though.

It's well put together and ticks the other boxes, and has generous memory and expansion options.
Thanks for that - I'd heard it mentioned as having a good camera - I'll start a list to look into.

And thanks to you too - my daughter has a Pixel 2 (I think) so I actually asked her last night and she was pretty positive about hers - another to add to the list.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi,
Pixel 3a or 3aXL has a good camera (same as on the previous flagship pixel 3) and costs less than £300 new.
The phone has headphone socket but has no memory card slot. Runs android one, has no bloatware and gets the system updates regularly. Battery life on my 3a XL is 3 days (don't use the phone lots).

Hi,
Pixel 3a or 3aXL has a good camera (same as on the previous flagship pixel 3) and costs less than £300 new.
The phone has headphone socket but has no memory card slot. Runs android one, has no bloatware and gets the system updates regularly. Battery life on my 3a XL is 3 days (don't use the phone lots).
Not heard of the XL before - another couple to look into, thanks !

XL is the larger screen size 6", I opted for it cause it has higher capacity battery of 3700mAh, which doesn't sound impressive but the phone has optimised battery usage and lasts for days.

It's one I've looked at, but is possibly getting a little too big.
Do you have one, and did you look at others like the M10 lite which is just that bit smaller ?
I could be making too much of a fuss about size, but my current phone is as big as my pockets can take really, and the X3 is even bigger..

I'm using a Samsung S9...the camera is very good, easy to use and not much in the way of gimmicks..the higher the model, the better the camera...Al

There's the new iPhone SE too. Good enough camera in good light I suspect. £399 for the base model - over budget I know, but it's quite a bargain for a phone...

I'm using a Samsung S9...the camera is very good, easy to use and not much in the way of gimmicks..the higher the model, the better the camera...Al
OK, I'll have a look at it - thanks.
There's the new iPhone SE too. Good enough camera in good light I suspect. £399 for the base model - over budget I know, but it's quite a bargain for a phone...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've always had a thing against Apple products ever since I heard about them slowing down older phones so people felt pushed into buying a new one. I'll still have a look just in case I'm being a bit of a knob/snob or whatever..

OK, I'll have a look at it - thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've always had a thing against Apple products ever since I heard about them slowing down older phones so people felt pushed into buying a new one. I'll still have a look just in case I'm being a bit of a knob/snob or whatever..

Since those days, an iPhone just gets faster with each major iOS update.

I've been using Xiaomi phones for a few years now, and my current Redmi note 7 is starting to show its age. Review here if you are interested and bored..
https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/reviews/xiaomi/148258-redmi-note-7-review
Were you happy with the quality the camera on your Redmi? I’ve just taken the plunge on a Redmi Note 9 (£140 from Amazon on a Cyber Monday deal) to replace a Nexus 6P that I bought here second-hand but which only lasted a fortnight! It was at the top of my budget (I haven’t paid £150 for a phone yet, and I’m not about to start) but seems to get good reviews.

Were you happy with the quality the camera on your Redmi? I’ve just taken the plunge on a Redmi Note 9 (£140 from Amazon on a Cyber Monday deal) to replace a Nexus 6P that I bought here second-hand but which only lasted a fortnight! It was at the top of my budget (I haven’t paid £150 for a phone yet, and I’m not about to start) but seems to get good reviews.
For the money it's a surprisingly good phone and camera Mr M. It has limitations, like all phone cameras, but given decent light it's a good thing to have in your pocket. I'm quite a fan on the brand having bought my first about 7 years ago but the current ones are a little too big.
I have to say that I saw that deal and almost bought me, my wife and daughter one, but both of them like something a lot smaller. Hope you like yours!
I ended up getting a Google pixel 4a which is a lot more than your budget but I fancied a treat - not yet tried it yet but hope its camera (processing) lives up to the hype..

advertisement

Back