advertisement

Philps CDM 4 laser compatibility?

Mike P

Trade: Pickwell Audio
I have a Creek CD60 cd player which I'd like to secure a spare optical pick-up for before they become even harder to find.

The CD60 uses a Philips CDM4/14 mechanism which seems to be quite rare.

A local shop has cheap used player with a CDM4/19 transport inside. Is the optical pick-up inside the CDM4/19 the same as the one fitted to the CDM4/14 in my CD60?

As far as I know they're the same, the devil is in the details and they all had different face plates, motors etc. You will need to check the laser current and focus servo adjustments after any swapout though.

I have a copy of the service manual and yesterday I went through the laser current adjustment procedure and all of the voltage test checks. I'm now reasonably confident about being able to do a laser swap myself.

Even if I have to get a professional audio technician to fit the laser I figure it would still be a good idea to secure a spare now while they are still available.

If I can't find a complete CDM4/14 mechanism which other CDM 4 variants have the same laser-head/pick-up? My best guess would be CMD4/19 or CDM4/11.

If anyone has experience of transplanting a pick-ups on CDM4's I'd love to hear from them.

Hi Muzz,

Yes I love the Lampizator site.

I suspect that the actual diode assembly is the same on many of the CDM4 variants and will interchangeable. As far as I can tell it's things like the motors which vary from one variant to another. I'm just looking for confirmation that I can definitely swap the diode assembly out of say a CDM4/19 into my CDM4/14. It'd be a pain if I go out and purchase one only to find they aren't compatible.

Someone out there must know, surely....?

I agree, I would strongly suspect the laser is identical, let alone interchangeable. It certainly is between much, much later and more disparate units of Philips origin (eg all the weird CDM12 mechs basically use the same block), and at the time the CDm4 was around - well, there really wasn't much of an alternative. Philips or Hitachi lasers, IIRc, everyone used them.

That said - these early units (CDM4, even CDM9) also seem incredibly long lived, probably rather better than anything that follows. If it works at all perhaps clean the lens and then leave it alone!

ETA: the easiest way to kill a laser pickup is by applying 'static' to the photodiode detectors - not a dead laser. Take great care/full static precautions in how you handle things if trying to replace.

Check my thread in here on a CDI fix from years ago - I think I used a 4/19 laser in mine OK.

Richard

Thanks guys,

The laser in my CD60 is still in good health but I figured it would be a good idea to get a spare 'in the bag' just in case.

At the moment you can still pick up old Marantz and Philips CD players with CDM4 mechs for £25-£35 on ebay and in charity shops. At that price it seems like a cheap insurance policy.

I have a anti-static wrist loop (connected to ground) which I wear whenever handling lasers assemblies. Should I be taking any further precautions?

Dowser, I'll check out that thread on your CDI now:)

advertisement

Back