advertisement

Philosophy For Life.

Isn't a sociopath very similar, but is scared of dying?
It's likely more complicated than that, but that was my simplistic take from Googling it a few years back.

I also heard somewhere that our personalities have a certain percentage of every trait. Which makes sense, due to when you do online autism, (or whatever) tests that pop out a percentage at the end.

There are a lot of similarities but, depending on who you ask, there are some differences. Broadly, sociopaths aren't as good at self regulation - they are more reactive and impulsive. As such, they tend to be easier to spot and end up in prison more often. It's complicated though. Both words fall under ASPD now.

There are a lot of similarities but, depending on who you ask, there are some differences. Broadly, sociopaths aren't as good at self regulation - they are more reactive and impulsive. As such, they tend to be easier to spot and end up in prison more often. It's complicated though. Both words fall under ASPD now.

My take on it, as mentioned previously, is that the DSM revised the category of psychopath partly through convenience - a sociopath was easier to diagnose so suited a diagnostic system like the DSM better. The downside is that a psychopath is a more pure category of disorder which is closer to a personality trait. A sociopath, however, is less of a personality trait and more of a category which can be influenced by a variety of social factors like environment, opportunity etc. For me a psychopath or psychopathy is a more useful category because simpler and more focussed. What we have ended up with is ASPD which covers more ground and can be more confusing to interpret. I'm more on the side of clarity here.

Knowing your place and learning to be comfortable in it is a great lesson in life.
The Buddhist view of learning contentedness rather than constantly striving for happiness, which is just a falsehood.

Then throw in Martin Lewis's (MSE) mantra.

Don't spend money that you don't have, buying things that you don't need.
To impress people that you don't like.

When i was around 8 my father gave me the Sheffield United talk

After this season he was correct, though we should have been 3 up at half time on Saturday.

The Buddhist view of learning contentedness rather than constantly striving for happiness, which is just a falsehood.
I well remember my time as a policy Civil Servant in the 90’s. We would spend months consulting, analysing and formulating options. Then enter the labyrinth of finding parliamentary time and making the necessary legislation to support our solutions.
At every stage submissions were made to ministers; describing the situation, outlining issues and offering options with an indication of which one we preferred.
After many months, sometimes years, of the hardest work I ever did, the response was always that ministers were “content” to proceed on the basis we suggested.
We often joked that after all the sacrifices we had made that was scant reward, but It is interesting to me now that, on reflection, no response could have been more reassuring or appropriate.

advertisement

Back