advertisement

Philosophy For Life.

I also wish that the terms "psychopath" and "sociopath" weren't bandied about so readily - people can exhibit traits linked to those conditions without being so. It just comes across as a lazy shorthand for "someone who's moral compass / political philosophy isn't the same as mine" and is the first step on demonizing / dehumanizing them. It's "Othering" and is not justifiable by any side and in any circumstance as it slams the door on proper discourse and finding potential routes out of the mess.

Antisocial personality disorder is catchier.

I also wish that the terms "psychopath" and "sociopath" weren't bandied about so readily - people can exhibit traits linked to those conditions without being so. It just comes across as a lazy shorthand for "someone who's moral compass / political philosophy isn't the same as mine" and is the first step on demonizing / dehumanizing them. It's "Othering" and is not justifiable by any side and in any circumstance as it slams the door on proper discourse and finding potential routes out of the mess.
William the Conk wasn’t a psychopath? Just someone with a different perspective to all the “others”?

what is the difference between "psychopath" and "sociopath",
in your words,
to me there is not a lot to separate them,

in your words,
to me there is not a lot to separate them,
Isn't a sociopath very similar, but is scared of dying?
It's likely more complicated than that, but that was my simplistic take from Googling it a few years back.

I also heard somewhere that our personalities have a certain percentage of every trait. Which makes sense, due to when you do online autism, (or whatever) tests that pop out a percentage at the end.

Isn't a sociopath very similar, but is scared of dying?
It's likely more complicated than that, but that was my simplistic take from Googling it a few years back.

I also heard somewhere that our personalities have a certain percentage of every trait. Which makes sense, due to when you do online autism, (or whatever) tests that pop out a percentage at the end.
Here's the thing. We're all bonkers in our own way, and are duly called whatever name, some smartarse decides to give us.
They know, no more than me or you. I dont even know who I am, so how can they.;)👍

Here's the thing. We're all bonkers in our own way, and are duly called whatever name, some smartarse decides to give us.
They know, no more than me or you. I dont even know who I am, so how can they.;)👍

Tell me about it :)

Psychopath-vs-Sociopath.jpg

When i was around 8 my father gave me the Sheffield United talk "theyre're losers son, have been all my life will be all of yours. Get used to it, you'll thank me for it". I've a lot to hate the old bastard for but that stuck and he was right. I was glad to pass the message on to my own son when he was old enough to understand and but not to question.

Knowing your place and learning to be comfortable in it is a great lesson in life. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst avoids the crushing disappointment that calls for medication.

As far as I know, back in the day the psychopath was the original definition included in the DSM, the American Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. One of the tests for the condition was to hook up a psychopath and a control to a machine that they were told would give them an electric shock when a clock reached 12. They measured the galvanic skin response of both to get a reading of emotional agitation. The control became agitated as the clock hand neared 12. The psychopath had no reaction, showing that he/she did not react to threat in a normal way.

At some point, can't remember the date, the category of psychopath was changed to sociopath. Not sure why - maybe it was easier to diagnose from a variety of antisocial behaviour.

"Hervey M. Cleckley, an American psychiatrist, influenced the initial diagnostic criteria for antisocial personality reaction/disturbance in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), as did American psychologist George E. Partridge. The DSM and International Classification of Diseases (ICD) subsequently introduced the diagnoses of antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) and dissocial personality disorder (DPD) respectively, stating that these diagnoses have been referred to (or include what is referred to) as psychopathy or sociopathy. The creation of ASPD and DPD was driven by the fact that many of the classic traits of psychopathy were impossible to measure objectively."

Peace on earth and goodwill to all people is a good philosophy.

Everyone, including politicians and sociopaths, would agree with it.

The question is, how does something the everyone agrees with, get translated into war and reducing people to animals?

advertisement

Back