advertisement

Philosophy For Life.

I very specifically referenced 1066 and on. Not only “recently”.

You asked: "why do we put up statues to them and vote them into power" not why did we.

I don't think we do any more and makes the question moot.

0498b273-0cf7-48f0-a71d-0c42d35c1516_text.gif

Other than the statue of Margaret Thatcher, I can't think of anyone in recent years this applies to. I think your concern is unfounded.
Blackburn got a statue of Barbara Cartland quite recently.

But yes I agree - in general we seem less keen on statues of the shysters that rule us these days.

You asked: "why do we put up statues to them and vote them into power" not why did we.

I don't think we do any more and makes the question moot.
Forgive my previous posts, but on reflection you raise an important point, which is the difference between do and did. My point was not about when statues were erected but the veneration they still receive today. I’m thinking of the symbolic power of our First Dick astride a mighty stallion standing proud outside our Parliament in particular.

How much does he, or any of the others, stand for peace on earth and goodwill to all men?

It's there because an Italian count sculpted it and wanted it there and outlived the only person who really opposed its placement, the architect of the palace of Westminster.

Again, you raise an important point, but I see your obscure Italian c*unt with the statue of Clive of India outside the Foreign and Common Wealth Office as a straight up middle finger to any Indian Ambassador entering the building today.

SOOO, much morality and good will here, now tell me how many of you have cheated on a girlfriend, wife, lover,
maybe 90% shame on you all, me included, :rolleyes:
eating grass and stroking a cow , is of little interest to me,

Dear Graystoke,

I have never cheated on a woman. My younger brother has, and my father did ... My English grandfather did. It is in the family [pace the comment that decisions are in large part physiological rather than philosophical, earlier in this thread], and I do have experience of the familial cycle of abuse that all too often characterises family life. I have cut the cycle in my own case. For me it was extremely helpful that I detested both my parents, and was relieved when each died.

It may be something one has to fight, but we are gifted the choice, if only we take the time to think and indeed reflect seriously.

I have never eaten grass. But I have caressed cows while milking them, and surprisingly it really does make them calm and content. Sheep don't respond, but sheep are thick as mince, though they do respond to kindness such as not shouting at them - however tempting that might be on times!

Best wishes from George

dear gorge you have lost me, gud and propper,
no one is talking about abuse, and that can take so many forms, it really is hard to judge,
i can tell you of my mid to late teens, but some might think it's the best time ever, i do, horses for courses,
with the event of time everything changes, law's, and expectations, sex, and behaviour,

advertisement

Back