advertisement

Philips CD160/5 Error message

Beware, the laser current cap has to be a BC/Vishay axial. Other caps I tried here were not successful. They are broadly available, no problem.

Quite likely to be failing electrolytic capacitors. The blue coloured Philips branded axial capacitors (often 33uF). They're notoriously unreliable at this age.
New here. I’ve registered to thank members, in particular Mike P and mansr, and so as to provide some feedback.

Model: Philips CD-160
Condition: All original, never touched from new, working all these years with no problems
Symptom: Wouldn’t play my newly purchased disc(s) Led Zeppelin’s 2015 compilation “Mothership”. Both discs were slow to read and do finally display tracks numbers, but pushing play goes to “Error”.
All my other discs play fine, and conversely Mothership plays fine on my 12-yr old laptop and in my older Toshiba BR player.

Troubleshooting went as follows:
- open unit and quick inspection. No bulging capacitors and didn’t bother looking for cold solder joints or try reseating plugs because the problem wasn’t intermittent in nature.
- blew off and cleaned laser pickup lens - no improvement
- easily locate the pale blue axial Phillips caps on the Main board. Quick in circuit checks reveal four of them (47uf/25v) are way out. Reading around 10uf with high ESR readings.
- order new ones on DigiKey, drop them in next day, cross my fingers - but no improvement
- ready to pack it up and treat myself to a new Yamaha, when I spot another pale blue axial on the Servo board mounted under the deck. It's 33uf/16v and it measures bad too. Not as easy to replace, but I had a new 33uf/50v radial. Dropped it in and it voila, The Mothership is rockin!

There are no sled rails, it's a swing arm mech.

I have recently 'serviced' my Philips CD150, it also has an early swing arm, galvanometer mechanism, whilst mind did work I replaced all of the Electrolytic capacitors, but the only one that showed signs of damage (it was very dead) was a non polarized electrolytic capacitor which Philips used in the swing arm driver circuit, it functions as a damper for the galvanometer mech motor which helps the mech track.

You could try replacing that.

New here. I’ve registered to thank members, in particular Mike P and mansr, and so as to provide some feedback.

Model: Philips CD-160
Condition: All original, never touched from new, working all these years with no problems
Symptom: Wouldn’t play my newly purchased disc(s) Led Zeppelin’s 2015 compilation “Mothership”. Both discs were slow to read and do finally display tracks numbers, but pushing play goes to “Error”.
All my other discs play fine, and conversely Mothership plays fine on my 12-yr old laptop and in my older Toshiba BR player.

Troubleshooting went as follows:
- open unit and quick inspection. No bulging capacitors and didn’t bother looking for cold solder joints or try reseating plugs because the problem wasn’t intermittent in nature.
- blew off and cleaned laser pickup lens - no improvement
- easily locate the pale blue axial Phillips caps on the Main board. Quick in circuit checks reveal four of them (47uf/25v) are way out. Reading around 10uf with high ESR readings.
- order new ones on DigiKey, drop them in next day, cross my fingers - but no improvement
- ready to pack it up and treat myself to a new Yamaha, when I spot another pale blue axial on the Servo board mounted under the deck. It's 33uf/16v and it measures bad too. Not as easy to replace, but I had a new 33uf/50v radial. Dropped it in and it voila, The Mothership is rockin!
. . . quick update to this, a CD-R (TDK brand) in my collection was also effected. Today I noticed a yellow sticky note on it from March indicating as such.
I tried it today and it's now playing.

advertisement

Back